British mild -- help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Hey there,

Just tasted my british mild clone from beer captured and it's lacking in the hops dept. What can I do? Supposed to have IBU of 18 and I calculate it only has 13-15 IBU.

I'm thinking of dry hopping 0.5 oz of Fuggles for a week or 10 days? According to beersmith that will get to 19.4 IBU.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Mild shouldn't have any appreciable hop flavor or aroma, and very little bitterness. Dry hopping would only add aroma, no bitterness. The human palatte can't tell the difference between 15 and 18 IBUs, anyway. Plus, remember that all of those calcs are nothing more than good guesstimates.

Mild shouldn't have any appreciable hop flavor or aroma, and very little bitterness. Dry hopping would only add aroma, no bitterness. The human palatte can't tell the difference between 15 and 18 IBUs, anyway. Plus, remember that all of those calcs are nothing more than good guesstimates.

what he said

You need to boil the hops to get any bitterness out of them. And as far as trying to raise the IBUs up from 15-19, you won't be able to tell the difference. OH------yeah what they said.

Sounds like you would have been better off making a Pale. Milds aren't bitter, nor do they have much hop aroma. Bitters have more bitterness, but still not much if any hop aroma.

Leave it alone for a month & see if you can appreciate it for what it is. If not, brew hoppy styles.

Thanks for all (well... most of) your comments. The tase of the mild was kida weird, nice initial roasted taste then... well nothing for a second or two then a nice finish. It was the "gap" between the tastes that was weird.

Tasted some more yesterday (sampled at the same time as the initial tasting) after refrigerating overnight and it was much more coherent, and quite tasty. Another week in the primary (week #2) and some force carbonation will sort it out nicely.

mmm...mild. drinking my first right now. it's not hoppy at all, but it is mighty flavorful for a 3.5% brew
:mug:

I am surprised at how much I (and my cow-orkers) enjoy mild. I just bottled my second batch of it this weekend.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but an underappreciated style to be sure (even in the UK). Pretty soon only homebrewers will be making it...

interestingly enough, it reminds me of tea :D

it's got a fullness up front, but somewhat watered down as you drink it, then it follows with a nice burst of flavor.

it's yummy. mine turned out suprisingly dark. i also left it in the primary for a LOOONNGG time. i'm going to change just a few things and brew this up again...give it two weeks, then straight to keg. i'd like this to be a quickly fermented session beer that i can always have around.

I am surprised at how much I (and my cow-orkers) enjoy mild. I just bottled my second batch of it this weekend.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but an underappreciated style to be sure (even in the UK). Pretty soon only homebrewers will be making it...

Is that so? I heard it's gaining popularity, especially among the CAMRA crowd. I bottled my first batch on Wednesday, and it looks fantastic; darker than a brown ale, but a deep, dark amber, and crystal clear. Based on Jamil's recipe, but with some substitutions.

Latest posts

Back