pressure cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I'm harvesting yeast today and I was thinking of using my new pressure cooker. I have heard some horror stories and they have made me nervous as hell to use this thing. I havent read the user manual yet but I will definitely be reading it before I get going. Any one got any tips?

Follow the directions and you will be fine. I use one al the time for canning wort to sterilizing all of my yeast harvesting equipment. You will like it. S.

the horror stories come from people either not properly locking them up, or intentionally defeating the safety features causing insane pressure. Read those directions and if possible wear work gloves when opening it. Steam is pretty unforgiving to skin.

Follow the directions, many now have multiple pressure release valves and almost all of the seals are also made to not let pressure build up too high. They are really pretty safe now days, just let them cool all the way before opening and you wont have any problems.

There was a thread on here a while back, and I remember doing all kinds of searches for exploding pressure cookers, but pretty much found there were only a couple that ever really did and they were under really strange circumstances.

Ditto, to what's been said. I did hear of one other failure mode not mentioned already. Make sure you put enough water in the bottom of the pressure cooker! A friend of my brother's managed to melt his aluminum pressure cooker on the stovetop, after running out of water.

:off:

Have any of you used vinegar in your cookers to keep the calcium build up from occurring on glass? If so how much do you use?

Thanks

Schlenkerla said:
:off:

Have any of you used vinegar in your cookers to keep the calcium build up from occurring on glass? If so how much do you use?

Thanks

No but I have read 2-3 tablespoons and also 2-3 caps full, I am going to try it next time I can a batch of wort.

Back