brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I had a few Jolly pumpkins that I was saving the bottles after I drank them, the few I had had bret in them. I rinsed them out good and then threw them in with my other bottles. I have heard when brewing with brett that you need seperate everything almost, even a seperate room for fermentation.
How durable are these little critters though? Could I have contaminated all of my bottles by putting the few rinsed bottles with the rest of my bottle collection? Or do you think I have killed everything since they are empty bottles?

First of all you don't have ferment in separate rooms, you just have to be careful with the carboys and equipment. Most brewers agree that you need separate plastic equipment because plastic is porous bacteria will harbor in it and it becomes too hard to sanitize.
The brettanomyces should be out of the bottles, but you might want to put some sanitize in the bottles to make sure they are killed off. The bacteria won't necessarily fly out of the bottles and go into the others. However, if the bottles are touching or in very close quarters there is always a chance some contamination has occurred. You have to make sure that the bottles are clean and sanitize them very well.

I agree with Iordz, a good long soak in *cleaner of your choice* and then a good long soak in Starsan or the like, should take care of it, just be sure to do all the bottles.

Cheers

Back