Blueberry wheat . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While on a supply run to the local resturaunt depot for supplies for the firehouse kitchen I found a container of about 2lbs of dried blueberries . . .kinda like blueberry raisins . . .Well since I was making a batch of beer that day at work (smoked pale ale) it got me thinking and I bought them thinking maybe I could use them in beer. After thinking on it for a while at the stove that evening I decided to try and put them into a blueberry wheat beer

Now to the question . . .how much do I use? every recipie I see is for whole frozen fruit, or puree, or extracts. Right now I am leaning to throwing the whole container into the secondary and see wht happens but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great

Since dried fruit runs about 20% the weight of fresh, I say 2 pounds dried would be about right. I would hydrate them by putting them in about two quarts of boiling water and let them sit overnight. I like the idea of a blueberry wheat. Maybe next summer, I'll have enough blueberries to do one myself.

Trader Joe's sells dried blueberries covered with dark chocolate. They go well with winter warmers.

I would hydrate them by putting them in about two quarts of boiling water and let them sit overnight.

yeah that was sort of the plan. Was gonna throw them into boiling water to make sure they didnt have any badies befor I threw them into the secondary. I cover everything with plastic once I clean it if I am not gonna be using it right away so I'll do the same with them after they are boiled

Now if I throw them into the secondary am I gonna get alot of fermentation out of them? I know raisins are like little sugar bombs so figuring these probably have a good amount in them as well. Been tempted to open the container and try a few BUT being a diabetic and having a MAJOR sweet tooth that may not be a good idea :cross: I could end up eating the entire container and fall asleep like I normally do when my blood sugar goes up too high

Back