braggot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorcycleMatt

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed a big braggot a week and a half ago. The recipe was:

10lb clover honey
7.5 lbs dme pale
2 oz delta hops
Yeast nutrient
3 liter starter of white labs persica ale yeast

I know taking grab readings are the only day to tell if its done, the of was 1.18 qnd I'm down to 1.04

It tastes great but with the alc content now I think my yeast are probably drunk, they are rated for 12% alc.

If that's as far as they go, would pitching some champagne yeast possibly lower it, right now its just too sweet.

Thanks

If your yeast really will not go any further then sure you can pitch some chapagne yeast. I would suggest Lalvin K1V-1116. Make a starter with 2 cups water, 1/4tsp of nutrients and every hour past starting it add in 1/4 cup of must untill you have 4 cups of liquid. you should see active signs of fermentation through the whole 8 hour process. that will ensure your new yeast starts well in the high ABV enviroment. K1V should take it bone dry.

Sound good--I second Arpolis's suggestion....

Considering that my braggot was at 11.5% ABV when it went from 1.15 to 1.06--you might want to check your yeasty minions into detox...or a morgue:)

Does yours have a very thick mouthfeel, and produce 'legs' as well?

Thanks for the suggestions! This is my first mead, but I've done a bunch of beers.

Brann, did you leave your braggot at 1.06? Also did you carb it? At 15% alc I was surprised it wasn't too harsh. I was thinking of racking it onto fruit but this yeast throw off a lot of apricot flavor and I really like that its coming through.

I really appreciate the feedback!

Nah, it's still fermenting away--I'm aiming for around 1.010-1.020 then will stop it by whatever means necessary. I used Lalvin 1116 for this one, since the variety I really wanted was not to be found.
I think it would be awesome if I could carb it, but will have to look into it more--I think that I would be bottle pasturizing, which scares me after my first attemp. Irrational, I know...

I might have to start looking into those other yeast brands (been using Lalvin and Redstar). I like to choose the yeast by whether the flavours it is supposed to throw off will suit the image I have in mind for the finished mead.

Back