Rate my plan...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBill

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if my questions are a bit basic, but I am noob brewer and looking to brew my first few sours as well. I like the idea of brewing an extra gallon and fermenting as a sour using dregs so my plan for my next two brews are:

1. Brew 4G of Pranqster clone from Clone brews (Golden Ale, 6.9%ABV, 20 IBUs, Wyeast 1214), and then sour 1G in secondary - I would be interesting in hearing suggestions on dregs to use to sour. Unfortunately in MA, doesn't seem to be a lot of choices of sours so far all I have found are Rodenbach Grand Cru and Orval....

2 Brew 5 G of Orval clone. 3G would be "uninfected" 1G would be soured using Orval dregs (aka a true clone) and then I was thinking of taking a step further with the last 1G and see if I could make it even more sour. Maybe sour with dregs rack on tart cherries? Suggestions welcome here too.

Finally just curious but anyone ever sour a fat tire clone? I've got 5G on the stove right now so I am curious. IBUs are a bit higher so i am not sure that would work....

Sorry in advance if my questions are a bit basic, but I am noob brewer and looking to brew my first few sours as well. I like the idea of brewing an extra gallon and fermenting as a sour using dregs so my plan for my next two brews are:

1. Brew 4G of Pranqster clone from Clone brews (Golden Ale, 6.9%ABV, 20 IBUs, Wyeast 1214), and then sour 1G in secondary - I would be interesting in hearing suggestions on dregs to use to sour. Unfortunately in MA, doesn't seem to be a lot of choices of sours so far all I have found are Rodenbach Grand Cru and Orval....

2 Brew 5 G of Orval clone. 3G would be "uninfected" 1G would be soured using Orval dregs (aka a true clone) and then I was thinking of taking a step further with the last 1G and see if I could make it even more sour. Maybe sour with dregs rack on tart cherries? Suggestions welcome here too.

Finally just curious but anyone ever sour a fat tire clone? I've got 5G on the stove right now so I am curious. IBUs are a bit higher so i am not sure that would work....

Rodenbach is pasteurized so there won't be any viable bugs. Orval has Brett B so those dregs will give you some funk. I'm sure someone else will echo this, but Jolly Pumpkin beers are a great source for very active bugs (and avail in MA).

Oldsock's blog has an extensive list of commercial beers with microbes: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html
I'd also recommend reading his post on 'Brewing Sour Beers at Home'.

Rather than pulling a gallon from your primary and using the jugs as secondary, you may want to consider fermenting your 1 gallon sour/funky batches separately by copitching a sacch yeast strain & dregs.

Brett can play nice with higher IBUs, but usually 10 IBUs will inhibit lacto & pedio.

Almighty has a long thread about brewing 1 gallon sour beers that is worth a read too: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/easy-way-make-sour-beers-1-gal-wort-dregs-189748/

You probably get Lindeman or Timmerman products in your area. Both companies have a gueuze out that is not pasteurized so there should be viable dregs.

No petrus products? I would also be surprised that you do not get Jolly Pumpkin beers.

There's a ton of options in MA that stock dozens and dozens of sours. Julio's in Westborough has a massive selection. In the Boston area there's a lot of options (Blanchard's, Liquor World in Porter Sq).

What about Canton Village Wine & Spirits? Super Discount Liquors in Stoughton? The Whole Foods in Dedham? I haven't been to any of these but they seem like they might have some stuff.

If you can't find anything nearby just head out to Julio's... you can grab a really tasty sub at Wegmans and do some grocery shopping while you're at it (and they have a big beer selection too).

Brett can play nice with higher IBUs, but usually 10 IBUs will inhibit lacto & pedio.

Some strains of lacto is inhibited by 10ibus like the strain sold by White Labs. Pediococcus is not very hop sensitive. I have a mixed culture ripping through a wort at 9% and 27ish IBUs. There's plenty of sourness developing. I just wanted to correct a common misconception. The sensitivity of lacto is strain dependent.

Thanks for all the input. I was able to find a few more sours at Whole Foods in Dedham (including a jolly punpkin). I will modify my plan accordingly aka co-pitch with dregs that actually have some bugs. Thanks for all your help.

Back