Oak butt brown ale. 1st home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchcl640

Reaction score
I just got a complete home brew kegging kit. My first batch was oak butt brown in the "How To Brew" book. I think it turned out good considering it was my first, but I have no head on it. Has anybody tried this recipe? Did I do something wrong?

When was it bottled?
Did you stir the priming sugar well prior to bottling?
How much head space is in your bottles?

There are too many unanswered factors here to give you a definitive answer... these are just the first 3 things i thought of.

I keg my beer. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Does bottling produce a better beer?

yes and no.... more enjoyable to not have to invest a 50 beer keg into agind individual beers for the future, but then to answe your question, NO, bottling doesn't make better beer, it just makes it easier to handle ytour beer 50 different ways before drinking. I bet you haven't let it sit long enough to carbonate. think of it this way, the closer you get to you regulator pressure (converted into partial pressure of the co2 contents of the in the beer, the longer it will take for the pressure to make it's way into the beer. that means, it takes about 14 days to get within 5% of the co2 desired if you set the regulator at serving pressure and go from there. serving pressure shoudl be lower than arbonating pressure. I serve at 5 psi when I have been able to carbonate my kegs properly. Proper arbonation to me, is 9psi for 10 days, or 30 psi for 20 minutes of gentle rolling (back then forth every 3-4 seconds in my lap while connected to 25-30 psi. It will get there, and at least it's under carbonated. overcarbonated is worst IMO.

Brad1775, you are right. This is day 2 hooked up to carbo and I already see a difference. Its my first batch so I think I'm just to anxious. I've been pushing 30 psi but by the next day my regulator shows 10 psi. Is this a sign of a leak somewhere or just a bad regulator?

if you turn your regulator way up to 30psi and then back down the pressure the regulator reads will drop as the CO2 dissolves into the beer... If you turned it way up and left it at 30 psi and it already reads 10 psi then you may have a leak. best bet is to get yourself a strong mixture of StarSan in a squirt bottle and spray down everything and look for bubbles/leaks.
and be patient it can a couple days to carb even when you have the pressure way up

Back