Keezer Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borovy3488

Reaction score
I am trying to set up my chest freezer while waiting on the components to arrive to convert it to a keezer. I read the thread on here about adjusting the thermostat on the freezer to get it above freezing, and did so on my freezer. The temperature is reading right around 35-36 degrees, but I am having a bit of an issue.

The freezer is an older 7.2 cu ft with a light wired to the lid. The bulb is blown, so it doesn't work right now, and I can easily remove the cord for the light when I install the collar. Almost every time I open the lid on the freezer to check the temperature, water falls from the hole in the lid for the light onto the floor. There is a small amount of condensation on the walls and bottom of the freezer as well, but most of it is actually frozen.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to fix this? TIA

A lot of people use a small CPU fan to get the air circulating. That should help solve a lot of your condensation problems probably.

Where should I mount the fan? I don't think it would be good to mount it on the collar because it would draw some cool air out correct?

Thanks.

Cool air sinks, so anywhere on the bottom would help get things moving to assist in condensation. Maybe others have more experience as I just finished my keezer and haven't had any issues as of yet. I'll know in a few more days though. My plan is to also add a small cpu fan and have it on the bottom somewhere.

My fan sits vertically on the hump next to the CO2 tank. You can mount everything to a pine board and lay it in there. (use a new empty paint can to hold the CO2 tank).

This won't solve your condensation issues completely but should keep air from stratifying inside your keezer and prevent ice build-up. Condensation will still occur from warm moist air being introduced to the keezer (from you opening the lid or from leaks) and being chilled. Cooler air can't hold as much moisture so it precipitates out. Some people use Eva-Dry units or other methods to combat condensation. Mine only develops a tiny bit of water in the corner and I just mop it out with a paper towel when I change out kegs.

Back