Better way to rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did my first racking a couple of weeks back. Whilst I was able to remove most of the sediment, there is still a fair bit floating around on top, as well as the stuff lying at the bottom. I was wondering if there was some sort of gauze filter than could be inserted into the receiving receptacle to catch sediment that came out of the tube. Anyone know of such a device? I added the first Campden tablet when I racked, and intend to rack again in a couple of weeks.

Also - I've heard the wine is supposed to 'clear'. What does this mean? I'm making red wine (blackberries, raspberries and a handful of sultanas) so I don't expect it to go see-through.

Any help much appreciated,

Ross

When your racking, if you had any type of filtering device it would stop the siphon especially in a young wine. I am not sure what you have floating on top but if you ferment with fruit you can use a nylon bag in the primary to hold the fruit, then when you get ready you can remove it easily. After the wine has been racked once or twice you can then filter if you wish but you will need a pump to force the wine through a filter, some just choose to let the wine bulk age until it quits dropping sediment.

If something is floating on top (I'm assuming its a piece of fruit) maybe you can suck it out with a sanitized Turkey baster?

When your wine is clear, all the suspended yeast will have settled to the bottom, So every month or 2 months Check the bottom of the Carboy, if it has sediment rack it... Then check in another month or so, once it stops dropping sediment then its "Clear". If you bottle it to soon while its still dropping sediment Then you will have sediment in your bottle, which will cause off flavors in your wine, thats why you want to rack it and not leave it in the carboy to long while its dropping lees, they call the sediment lees.
Just a note, from what I have read, add camden every other racking. There is some misleading info on the net, from my research It seems some great wine makers add every other racking. Some books will say everytime you rack add camden. Good luck, hope this helps!

I just put cheese cloth over the end of the hose with some slack in it so it keeps flowing at a good pace. Works well .

Thanks all!

Yes I did use a nylon mesh bag during the primary fermentation. Not sure what the bits floating on top are either - I assumed dead yeast cells.

I'm thinking of inserting at bit of the nylon mesh into the receiving receptacle during next rack - just pushing it in the hole to catch any bits coming out of the pipe. That should do it.

Thanks again all!

Ross

Thanks all!

I'm thinking of inserting at bit of the nylon mesh into the receiving receptacle during next rack - just pushing it in the hole to catch any bits coming out of the pipe. That should do it.

Ross

Am I reading this right? Are you just putting your siphon hose in the top of your carboy? Not the bottom?

It is generally recomended that you not introduce air into your wine. I make sure that both ends of my syphon hose is submerged in liquid.

Whoops! Yes I did just stick the end of the hose into the top of the receiving receptacle. I will ensure I keep it submerged on second rack when I do it this weekend.

I think I'll also go with nwaite's suggestion of putting some muslin/cheese cloth over the end of the hose (with some slack) to catch any bits.

Thanks all!

Cheese Cloth works great... however you may want to consider using a clarifier before bottling. For a berriy wine I would suggest using gelatin finings!

Also make sure when racking you don't jostle, shake, the fermentor around too much before you begin.

Back