Cleaning a plate chiller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale_3rd

Reaction score
Can you ever get a plate chiller clean?

I've run hot UBC (ultimate brewery cleaner) through it and flushed out my plate chiller with a garden hose several times and re-run cleaner through it but it still seems to spew chunks every time I rinse it.

Would mixing up a concentrated solution of UBC, like 3X typical, or even maybe a lye solution at 180F or so and letting it sit in the chiller for a good while chew up the hops still in there or do most people just run a hot UBC or PBW solution through it, rinse well, and "that's good enough" until the next run?

Bake it at no more than the highest temp stated (usually around 350 or 400) for a good while, 1hr+, then do your routine again. You may see some smoke coming out of it in the oven. Wait til that stops. Rinse rinse rinse... etc.

Make sure you take all the teflon tape, etc. off.

I would like to run cleaner / boiling water through the chiller but don't have a pump. I just gravity feed liquid through it.

It's best to keep it clean, to prevent crap from getting into it in the first place.

The first step is a hop bag if you're not using one already.

ultravista said:
I would like to run cleaner / boiling water through the chiller but don't have a pump. I just gravity feed liquid through it.

It's best to keep it clean, to prevent crap from getting into it in the first place.

The first step is a hop bag if you're not using one already.

Can't you reverse the flow and gravity feed boiling water and/or cleaner

Back