Learned My Lesson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

36bones

Reaction score
After starting my 3rd batch using a Coopers Select IPA, I again, came off with cider tasting results. I cleaned and sanitized well this time. I thought I'd be smart and try using a fermentable pack that included a 1 lb of corn sugar in it. After reading some threads, (which I should of done in the first place), I learned that corn sugar can cause this result. I'm going to let it condition some more and hope for the best.

I've learned that for my fourth batch and beyond, I'm going to go with mini-mashes and LME and DME. Maybe some day down the road I'll graduate to AG, but I can't take another bad can kit.

Blame the brewer,not the brew. The cooper's cans aren't designed to fail. It's usually some fault in the recipe or process. Too much sugar can typically cause that cidery flavor. Temps have to be in the yeast's optimal range as well.
I've found that extract brewing has some rules of its own. I started moving away from using sugar,& using plain DME instead. Of course,then you have to add more hops to balance it out. Whether you're improving the can,or turning it into another style,as I do.
That's half the fun.:mug:

I've never used a straight Cooper's kit, but I've heard that it usually tells you (as an option in the recipe) to use white sugar as part of the fermentables. If that is in fact the case (and you have been using white sugar in your boil), then you're correct in assuming that's why you've been getting the cider flavor.

Luckily it's an easy fix, as you've already stated: using malt extracts (or mashing your own) in place of the white sugar.

Good luck :mug:

71`F. I cooled it down to get there. I guess I should of gotten it even cooler. I used the Coopers yeast that came with it. It says to pitch at 70-80`F. I won't be using it in the future either. I made a 1 gl hop tea using .5 ounces of Tettnanger hops. I added that into the fermenter, before I put the can extract into it. I used AHS's beer kit add pack that contains: 1 pound of corn sugar, 1 pound of extra light DME, and 1/4 pound maltodextrin. My next batch will be AHS' Evil Brown Ale mini-mash kit.

From experimentation & research,I found the 68-72F brew temp to be optimal,as I said. So yeah,that range stated by cooper's is more like the range the yeast can put up with.
And When I did hop teas,I did it in the BK when the water boiled for the 1st 15 minutes. Up to an ounce works well. Then take it off the heat,& add the fermentables & stir well to mix thoroughly.

I use sugar in my Ipa to dry it out a bit. Just don't want to over do it. I also, ferment around 64, usually with s-05.

Oh yeah, it's worth stating sugar has it's place for increasing alcohol content and lightening the body. Too much leads to that cider flavor though.

Well,my point is to do it in the brew kettle about 15 minutes,then remove hop sack & remove from heat for pre-hopped can addition.

Nothin' wrong with sugar in your beer. With proper yeast management, I've never had green apple flavors and have used as much as 20% simple sugar.

And on that note,I picked up some Demerara sugar at Giant Eagle this week. It's raw cane sugar,rather than the usual beet "table" sugar. It's supposed to give a bit of richer flavor to coffee. Also used in brewing from what I've read on here.
After using 1oz of dextrose I had left with about 4oz of table sugar in my priming solution,my APA came out great. So I thought I'd prime my IPA with the demerara sugar. Should give a tiny bit more color/flavor. Just noticeable,I should think?...

Back