Please Critique My IPA Recipe!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I just brewed up 5 gallons of what my kids and I call Fat Daddy (after me :p) IPA.. Let me know what you think as it is raging right now at 64*.
11.25# 2row
1# Flake Rye
1# Flake Wheat
0.75# Honey Malt
Mash @153 for 60Min.
1oz..Columbus @60
1oz..Centennial @30
1oz..Cascade @15
1oz..Amarrilo @15
1oz..Cascade @5
1oz..Amarrilo @5
What Do You Think??

I guess I've never used Rye or Wheat in an IPA, I also usually throw a little crystal in there, 60-120...however I'm feeling on that day. Should turn out good though. Hopefully Yooper will chime in here in a bit to provide you some truly useful advise/critique.

It's somewhat unusual. I could do without the honey malt myself, but it's not a big amount. The wheat will help head retention. I'm not sure if you have not enough rye if you want any.

What kind of yeast? My guess would have been to use some irish moss to help with clarity? Im kind of just guessing but seems it might be hazy?Not a bad thing.Just suggesting what you may have,ive had a lot clear up over a few months. I may be gettin some rye that a guy is growing this year, never used it and am going to try to malt it maybe make a cane and ebel clone or something.
Your recipe looks good not shure how many ibu's you got though, your flavoring additions may cover up your grain taste for awile until it mellows out,if they last more than a few months for you. I think you will like those hop flavors though,they are some of my favorites.

dumped it on a SafAle05 yeast cake I had from a white beer I just made. It is raging right now with a ton of yeasties being blown through the blowoff tube.

hahahaha I am not Yooper but that looks nice to me. I like honey and honey malt. The rye will add a little dryness and like the other's said the wheat will help with head retention.

The yeast is a nice clean variety and should impart very little yeast flavors into it.

Now for the real answer...This is an IIPA most of the "subtle flavors" will be lost. The honey malt may or may not be noticeable beyond a taste of maltiness. If this was my batch, I would wait for about 7-10 days for primary to die down and then add in a few OZ's of hops but leave it on the yeast cake for another 7-10 days or until fermentation was all the way done. Then rack to secondary if you like and toss in an oz or less of dry hops for 7 days. Keg and/or bottle and enjoy!

Next time you may want to mash a bout 2 degrees lower but this will be a nice malty IIPA.

:mug:

I have an oz of cascade and an oz of amarillo to add once I move everything to 2ndary.
I will be transferring the Sat. after the 4th to 2nd, which will be 14 days in primary.
I had planned on leave it dryhopped in 2nd for about a week and then onto bottles..

I am fairly consistent with all my brew of 3week (primary & secondary) and then 3 weeks in bottle and onto tasting. I expect HUGE hop flavor from this.

I have an oz of cascade and an oz of amarillo to add once I move everything to 2ndary.
I will be transferring the Sat. after the 4th to 2nd, which will be 14 days in primary.
I had planned on leave it dryhopped in 2nd for about a week and then onto bottles..

I am fairly consistent with all my brew of 3week (primary & secondary) and then 3 weeks in bottle and onto tasting. I expect HUGE hop flavor from this.

Sounds fraking great to me!

Not a fan of honey malt with big hops, I'd prefer some crystal, especially to get you some amber tones in the color, but to each his own, it is a pretty minuscule amount, so you may not even notice it until the hops mellow out.
Hop bill looks awesome, all great hops.
Did you add the wheat for head retention, body, or clarity (as mentioned by Colin Kaminski in a BN interview, something about the wheat proteins bonding with starches, solids, and other haze causing particulates, helping them to fall out more completely)?

I use the wheat for both head retention and body. I actually never worry about the haze issue as I expect most of the IPA's I make to be a bit cloudy.

just wanted to give an update.. Checked gravity and it is at 1010 on the nose. Started at 1070+ which will leave us at about 8.5%ABV if my calculations are correct..
Tastes great even without the Cascade/Amarillo dry hopping what begins this weekend.
Cheers
HB

Latest posts

Back