What to buy in Kansas City?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanpace

Reaction score
I am visiting family in Kansas City. Went to a liquor store and see quite a big selection. What do people from this region suggest I buy? I see a lot of boulevard brewing beers, good buy?

Boulevard, yes. Especially smokestacks (if you see Bourbon Barrel Quad, buy it).

If you like lambic, and geueze, try to get to Gomers in Lee's Summit, they have a lot (tons of imports in general including absurd amounts of Mikkeler).

Since you are from Argentina I assume a lot is new?

Try anything from Founders, Bell's Expedition, anything from Lagunitus. There is lots of good stuff. I recommend calling Gomers in Lee's Summit and asking when Aaron is working and going there to have him help you out. He is the best in town, hands down. Bring money, I never walk out of this place less than a few hundred lighter.

If you want to hit a bar:

Flying Saucer in the Power and Light District has the best selection.
Waldo Pizza in Waldo has the best bartenders
Swagger in Waldo is cool

If you can make it out to Lawrence, KS (35 minutes from downtown KC), Free State is one of the best brewpubs in the country.

Depends which side of town you are on.

Man you're making me miss KC!! I lived there for 7 years before I moved to Cumblous OH.

Anyway, if you're on the KS side check out Lucas Liquors, they'll have a great selection as well. And I forgot about RedX in Parkville, it's a weird place but they have a pretty good mix and match 6 pack selection.

As stated before though, can't go wrong with Gomer's

Good Luck, and eat some Gate's BBQ for me while you're there!

Bell's, Founders and Lagunitas? I'm going to KC (Grainville) on christmas. I might have to stop by Gomers. For some reason we don't have them in Wichita.

Bell's, Founders and Lagunitas? I'm going to KC (Grainville) on christmas. I might have to stop by Gomers. For some reason we don't have them in Wichita.

That's because you are in Kansas :p

Goebel's is a pretty nice shop though.

Yes it is. I go there all the time. But I always read about certain styles that I can't get in Wichita and am always curious. I got a Rouge Double Dead Guy from 2008 (bomber bottle) for $4.50 the other day. Sorry to thread jack. Actually, if you can get any of Great Divide's or Avery's that would be good.

Thx for the replys, I am in the Overland Park area. Went to Lukas Liquor last night and there were just so many to choose from. I'll get some of the suggestions!

I would recommend Boulevard's Sixth Glass which comes in 750ml or a 4 pack of 10oz'ers. Also I like Tank 7 which is a lot of people's favorite. Also Harvest Dance is one of their seasonals and is a good beer but is never on the shelves very long. TallGrass Brewery and 23rd St Brewery make some descent beers which are local.

To chime in with everyone else, Boulevard's smokestack series are their best. That brewery is one of the top 10 largest craft breweries in the country, and luckily for us, right here in Kansas City.

Well, I didn't know this but you cannot buy Founders or Bells on the Kansas side of Kansas City. (I obviously was on the kansas side) With so many family things going on, I wasn't able to get to the other side.

I did make away with a lot of Boulevard beer, including the smokestack series, and a lot of other beers made in Missouri. (Did the build your own 6 pack at Lukas Liquors)

Looks like I got a few tasty beers to open.

Back