dark candi syrup out of stock everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
I am tryin to find some dark candi syrup for a quad and it seems every single east coast store is out of stock.

is there a reason anyone knows of that its out of stock everywhere?

Hm weird.. I don't really know why. You can find how to make your own on Google, though. Might be worth a try.

Thank you for your interest....We are still in business!
We are very sorry to be absent from the market as of late. The truth is that our syrup is very expensive to make, import and put into pouches. To add to this, the commercial minimums required make it a large financial investment.
We are committed to the homebrew market and we will be back in shops very soon. Our syrup pouching is underway and will be finished in the next few weeks.
We appreciate your support and we apologize for the inconvenience.

With my best regards,

Brian I to asked about this product this was the response ^,my lhbs now has " D " candi syrup but not yet " D 2 "

On the dark candi site it lists d2 as 80srm. But in the northern brewer catalog it shows 180srm.

what gives?

160 SRM. Funny how I started a thread about this last week and only got one response. Anyway, after searching some more I was told that at least one homebrew shop in Illinois says they will have it December 20th. I'm waiting for an email from my LHBS to tell me when they get it so I can get the starter going and go pick up the rest of the ingredients.

Because I can pay $6 for the good **** instead of making a mess and spending 3 hrs to do it.

I will not believe that you can make your own d2 at home and have it taste exactly the same.

You're right, it wouldn't taste the same. It would be better!:ban:

Seriously, it's super easy, and might take a half hour if you stumble along at first. Try it before you write it off. The people that change you $6 for 8-12oz of this stuff aren't doing anything different. Hell, you make beer, don't you? That's far and away more complicated than making a little caramelized sugar!

Perfect brewing supply in Libertyville Il. Has this product. Bought some there 3 weeks ago.

You're right, it wouldn't taste the same. It would be better!:ban:

Seriously, it's super easy, and might take a half hour if you stumble along at first. Try it before you write it off. The people that change you $6 for 8-12oz of this stuff aren't doing anything different. Hell, you make beer, don't you? That's far and away more complicated than making a little caramelized sugar!

Is it hard to make? Nope
Is it exactly the same? Nope
Is it worth $6 to have a consistent product that I don't have to make? Sometimes
Would it be worth $6 if I was only just barely scraping by the time to brew? Hell yes.

Is it worth $6 to have a consistent product that I don't have to make? Sometimes
Would it be worth $6 if I was only just barely scraping by the time to brew? Hell yes.

Fair enough. It still seems like every place is OOS. Strange, it's been so long. I wonder what the holdup is.

+1 on DIY.

All it takes is sugar, a candy thermometer and a little time.

I can understand anyone wanting to buy already made ingredients. However,
I ran into such a hassle just trying to find real Belgian Candi last fall that I decided to try making some myself.

Now I've made everything now from pale to deep red. I've used small amounts as an adjunct to bump up the gravity of other beers. I look forward to making invert sugar. I brings me closer to the brewing process. The most difficult part is keeping the temp right, by adding small amounts of water.

I even made candy that I handed out at Christmas. I don't even like hard candy, but I look for reasons to make it.

I clone Belgian Candy, even though I can buy it; just like I clone Belgian Beer, even though I can buy it.

If someone can make a case that it's difficult or impossible to duplicate real Belgian Candy, I'd like to hear why.

If someone can make a case that it's difficult or impossible to duplicate real Belgian Candy, I'd like to hear why.

You can make good candi syrup that way but it will not be an exact replicate of the D2 sold in stores. Here's two threads that discuss it. I also think I posted the email I received recently from Dark Candi Inc in one of those threads.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/pious-westvleteren-12-style-quad-multiple-147815/index13.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/candi-syrup-experiment-trying-clone-d2-220882/

The belgian candi SYRUPs, such as D and D2, are made from the leftover goo after the sugar rocks form during the sugar making process from sugar beets. Even though it's mostly the same thing (sucrose) as the syrup you'd make at home, there's stuff in it that is not present in white sugar and thus, not in the candi syrup that you make at home. It's been refined away. The only "real" way to make belgian candi syrup is to get some sugar beets of your own.

That said, you can get pretty close with a bag of sugar, water, some acid, and a stove. And it's cheaper. Although as a busy grad student I personally just plop down the $4/lb for a bucket of D or D2. It saves time and I never have to worry about consistency.

The confusion about Belgian candi syrup, sugar, etc is a nomenclature thing. In Belgium, candi sugar refers to the syrups, In american, candi sugar usually refers to the sugar rocks. The rocks, imo, don't really add anything that some turbinado or demerara sugar won't. The more refined the sucrose is, it goes from dark candi sugar to amber candi sugar to clear candi sugar. Why people would ever consider paying the premium for clear belgian candi sugar rocks is beyond me, because it's exactly the same thing as granulated sugar, just bigger granules i.e. harder to dissolve.

Back