Starter or no starter??? Quick response needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScarySouthernMan

Reaction score
Ok. So I got two 11g packets of Danstar Munich for a 10g extract batch of Bavarian Hefeweizen.

I looked on Danstar's site and they made no real mention of a starter. Do I need to make one or not?

Any thoughts?

They gave a list of procedures to revive the yeast. Should I follow there recommendations or wing it with a starter?

I gotta brew in 20 hours... Thanks!

- Scary

Thank you both so much.

Double checked Danstar and they recommend pitching 1 gram per liter of their yeast.

I have 22g.

That's around 6 gallons (rounded conversion)

I'm making 10 gallons. Every "Extract Recipe Kit" that I know of comes with ONE package of 11g yeast per 5 gal kit. I assumed that 2 packages was suffiecient for a 10 gallon batch. So... are the kits shorting people according to Danstar recommendations? Or am I freaking out?

P.S. - You guys are amazing... Thanks!

While a starter is seldom used with dry yeast, doing one in your case would help relieve your concerns.

Plus it couldn’t hurt. You’ve got a few hours so I say why not.

While a starter is seldom used with dry yeast, doing one in your case would help relieve your concerns.

Plus it couldn’t hurt. You’ve got a few hours so I say why not.

There's really no-reason to make a starter for dry yeast, "proofing," yes, but a wort starter, no. Besides the OP has 2 packets for his 10 gallon batch, that's MORE than enough yeast to do the job. In fact I would say that's optimal.

Thanks again guys. You're responses are as good as gospel to me.

Revvy,

Even though Danstar says 1g/liter, two packs for 10 gs is (in your experience) optimal?

Can you elaborate?

Thanks again! I have a ton of respect for you guys' posts...

Thanks

Scary

I misread what you originally posted, I thought that each packet was good for a 6 gallon batch, hence two packets would be great to over pitch a 10 gallon batch. But I went back and repread it.

But most folks pitch 1 pack of dry yeast for a 5 gallon batch, so it will be ok with the two you have for a 10....

But listen, many folks have made great beer even though they pitch less yeast than they need. If you have two packs, use them, and let the yeast re-produce enough to suit their needs. That's the first thing they will do, have an orgy amongst your wort and copulate, and make more babies.

You'll be fine. It's a hefe, so it's not like you are making a 10 gallon utopia clone with a starting grav of 1.125 or something like that. Your two packs will handle it just fine. :mug:

I am very happy to announce that the final showdown between good and evil is happening inside my carboys as we speak. That rehydration process from Danstar is awesome.

After 30 or so batches since I've started homebrewing, this is the craziest yeast activity I've ever seen. Two 5g tanks filled up an entire 1 gallon blow-off jug in less than twelve hours.

This was my first extract batch after having to downsize from AG. All-in-all a very simple process. This is fun!

Thanks again for all your help,

Jacob - Scary

Back