Favorite Recipe for first time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
Ok folks, I am new to all of this, and I have been searching this great site only to find trillions of great recipes, and my head is spinning. What is your favorite recipe on this site that would be great for a first time brewer to try? Most recommended is what I will try.

I'd guess that if this is your first go at it, you're doing extract brewing. I personally started off with a simple brown ale, and it turned out pretty well. If you're looking for an easy and delicious beer for the summertime, you may want to consider doing a hefeweizen. In any event, good luck! :mug:

Brew what you like. If you don't have anybody with experience helping you, the odds of that first batch being rough are higher. The odds of it tasting better because you made it go through the roof.

My 1st batch was a Brewer's Best Scottish Ale kit.

i like blondes! and red heads!

but, my first brew is goin in primary now, and i looked through several receipes and narrowed it down to a few i wanted. personally, i wanted to try the Cheesefood Caramel Cream Vanilla Ale, and then the SWMBO Slayer (which is a kit off midwest called Belgian Blonde) and then last weekend I fell in love with a milk stout -- so those are my current and future

Find one that sounds good to you, and if it has a good # of reviews, go for that one

Yeah brew what you like, but you will find a lot of people recommending EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Its a pretty simple recipe that's listed in Extract, Partial Mash, and All-Grain so anyone can brew it. It comes out kind of like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Stouts and Porters are good starter brews also because the dark roasty flavors can mask some of the fermentation issues beginning brewers often run into. Just don't use dark malt extracts if you're an extract brewer. They tend to suck. Use steeping grains to achieve the flavor and color you desire.

+1 (and more) for the previous posts.

Definitely brew what you like. I'm quite fond of a really good balanced pale ale, so that is what I have been striving for. Also what Sedge said, darker ales–porters and stouts-will tend to mask any off flavours or problems in the brewing process. If you like them they are a great place to start.

When you are brewin for the first time maybe you should try a kit from your local home brew shop.

Seconded.

I did an American IPA because that's what I like. Also operating under the assumption that it's easier to get away with off flavors hiding under all those IBUs.

Came out good. :)

Back