How long does it take you to brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long does it take you to brew! (Including prep & cleanup)

• Less than 1 hour

• 1-2 Hours

• 2-3 Hours

• 3-4 Hours

• 4-5 Hours

• 5+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike-H

Reaction score
It seems to take me 4.5 hours to prepare, brew and cleanup for 5 gallongs of brew. Just wondering how long it takes everyone else!

soup to nuts is about 3 hours, but I am in no rush when I brew. usually about 10-15 minute set-up, 1 hour mini mash, 1 hour boil, and 45 minutes to cool, pitch, and clean up.

3-4 hours for an extract batch for me (closer to 4).

I'd like to know who can do it in 1-2 hours (we have one vote there.) Are those pre-hopped extracts that you just mix with water, because 2 hours is f'ing fast.

-walker

I can brew extract in about 2 hrs if there isn't an overly long steep time and the boils is 1hr.

If I brew on a weekday night. I get everything ready as I can the night before so that I can light up as soon as I get home. This has worked well everytime but once... I think you know which time that was Walker.

I also have an area in the backyard for overnight soaks. So clean up is more efficient.

It normally takes me about 5 hours now, but I just started to do 10 gallon AG on a homemade 3 tier system. Before when i did extract brewing in the kitchen it would take about 2.5 hours for 5 gallons,

last week started heating mash water a 8:30 am and pitched the yeast at 3pm
i guess i am slow, but i batch sparged 3 times and waited 10 minutes between sparges
this time of year my chiller takes 45 minutes to cool the wort as opposed to 15 minutes or less in the winter.

For all-grain brews, from break out if the equipment to everything clean and put away I can get it under 6 hours. That's not counting an extended boil for high gravity brews.

It takes me about 6 hours , but I have to lug all my stuff from my beer room (in my basement) to my detatched garage, and back again when I'm done. A lot of messin around.

yeah, i'm in the garage too since i made it rain in the kitchen:D
carrying my 60 litre pot with about 30 litres of near boiling wort from the garage to the basement for cooling is so much fun - and really good exercise!

5+ hours but like some others I have to get all my stuff out of the basement and get it back when finished. I supose I could do it faster but I'm not in a rush when brewing and enjoy the time in the garage in a lawn chair

I have a lot of equipment setup and teardown too, with lugging stuff back and forth from storage to where I use it. I've done two brews so far, the first an extract with steeping grains, the second an AG.

6 plus hours from clean start to cleanup afterwards, but I'm sure I'll get that down some as I come to know my equipment.

5 to 6 hours for me too, but it depends on how many interruptions.

Tomorrow is BDWI, Brew Day Without Interruptions. We'll see how long it takes. I'm making my starter tonight and filtering my water ahead of time and storing it in 3 gallon water bottles.

Actually, if I do a partial boil for an extract and steep the grain seperately, two hours is about right.

I've done a mini-mash in 2 hr 15 min., but I did a short boil & increased the bittering hops.

about 3-4 for me doing extract w/grains. This includes measuring out the grains and hops and DME, and cleaning everything up after. I usually do it on Sundays and if I start by 9am I've got everything cleaned up good and put away by game time

3.5 to 4 hours extract brewing, in the kitchen on electric burner. I'd say it takes almost on hour for the water just to reach boiling after I'm done steeping and add more water. I just bought a keggle to move the brew day out to the garage and am hoping that the boiling goes quicker (and I want to start doing ten gallon batches).

For all grain:

Get out kettle, remove spigot and boil. Cool and replace spigot - 30 minutes
Put mash/sparge water on to heat, measure and crush grains. Tidy up kitchen, get out all remaining equipment - 60 minutes
Mash and prepare for mash-out and sparging - 60 minutes
Mash out and recirculate early runnings until clear - 30 minutes
Sparge - 90 minutes
Boil, and sanitize wort chiller and fermenters etc. - 90 minutes
Cool, drain to primary, oxygenate, and pitch - 30 minutes
Clean up and put equipment away - 45 minutes
Wash kitchen floor - 15 minutes.
Carefully rearrange kitchen so that all SWMBO's stuff is where it was before I borrowed the kitchen - 15 minutes

Total - 7 hours 45 minutes. I sometimes skimp on the kitchen floor, and rearranging kitchen - but it usually takes 7 - 8 hours.

-a.

it depends on how much help i have from the assistants, and how much help i have from them depends on how much we consume whilst brewing....:D

about five hours for an AG with about an hour fly sparge...

i can't wait for winter cause the wort chiller is wasting too much water.

I do a PE (partial extract - about 30% extract) and I am usually around 5 hours for a light bodied, long mash.

I've only brewed once so far and it took me almost 5 hours. It probably could have gone faster, but I was a bit paranoid and triple checking all of my steps. "Slow and steady" as they say.

photohand and I will do two AG 12 gal batches back to back and its a good 8 hr day from start to clean up. But I do spend about an hour washing the walls and moping the floore of my brewery (garage) before we start. makes for a looong day. but we get 24 gal out of the deal. O YA:ban: :rockin: :ban:
JJ

It takes me between 5&6 hours to do 5 gal AG batch with double decoction on electric stove. Cleanup included.

I takes about 7 hours all told for me to brew a 24 gallon all-grain batch. Of course, I would also take me about 7 hour to brew a 5 gallon all-grain batch.

Im down to about 5 1/2 hours if I have some help with cleanup. Thats pitched and everything cleaned and put away.

6 hours. I got to lug all my stuff out of the shed. I do this somtimes the night before brewday; get the water ready and then start 1st thing in the morning. With my cfc now reducing cooling time I'm probably more like 5.5 with cleanup.

Extract, Usually 3 - 4 hours. I have taken steps to speed up my process by:

1. When I have grains to simmer I have a separate 3 gallon SS pot that I put on the stove to simmer the grains. Meanwhile I put my 7 gallon pot on my propane burner and start to heat up the water at the same time. Usually my water hits boiling about the time my grains are done steeping and then I add the steeped grain water to the boiling water and add the extract. Seems to save about 1 hour.

2. On the other end I have a counter flow chiller that drains into my conical fermentor. I seal the fermentor and put a two tube stopper in the airlock hole. One tube is for the in flow of wort. The other I have hooked up to a drill water pump (reversed) that I run to create a vacumn in the fermentor a pull the wort through the counter flow chiller. This little invention works on the Venturi Pump / Wort Wizard principle but is cheaper. I have tried draining my pot with and without it and it saves me 20 - 30 minutes.

Just My Two Cents Worth.
TD

Is your recipe for the Rolling Rock clone a extract? If so please post as I would like to try it myself.

My AG batches take at least 6 hours. I could probably knock off some time but I end up sitting down at some point and the cleaning doesn't seem to get done very fast after that.

Latest posts

Back