Crushing Grain for Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6sm9

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to make an american ale using extract and some crystal malt to provide a little more flavour. I was just going to to steep the Crystal and add it to the brew pot. The only problem is that my homebrew shop doesn't sell much grain and as such didn't crush the crystal malt for me. I was wondering if I could just run it through my meat grinder to break it up. I know that everyone says not to use a meat grinder, and that it will produce a flour, but I have used the rolling pin/hammer method before and found it to be a major pain. So basically my question is; could I run the crystal malt through my meat grinder if I am just going to steep it or would this be an absolute waste of time/ bad idea? Thanks!~

Scouter

Hi 6. I'm not sure about a meat grinder - another option would be to pulse it a few times in your blender. As you know, the goal is to crush it, not grind it.

Another idea might be to see if anyone on here is from your area and send some messages asking if anyone has a grain crusher.

Thanks for actually reading my post Pappers ... pulsed it all in the blender, worked great and the beer turned out awesome ... I was just having a late moment of frustration realizing that I had to find a quick way to crush 10 kgs of malt

Back