Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDBrew

Reaction score
So I was just transferring from my secondary to the bottling bucket but I could not get the auto siphon to work properly. In my frustration I just decided to dump the beer from the carboy to the bucket.

Am I screwed on the bottling piece now? Too much air in the brew right before bottling?

Thanks for the help.

Well it was not the smartest thing you could have done,

You will have a wet cardboard taste in your beer now, unless you let it age a while. It will still be drinkable but not great, you really want to minimize any air into your beer,except for right before fermentation.

Good luck!

Well it was not the smartest thing you could have done,

You will have a wet cardboard taste in your beer now, unless you let it age a while.

Although I agree that this was not the best approach to tranferring your beer (you would have been better off pumping the autosyphin, or trying to clear whatever was blocking it) you can't pronounce a gaurentee that his beer will be carboardy...often our beer manages to surprise us no matter what boneheaded mistakes we make.

This thread shows what I mean;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

An secondly, if it was oxydized, you want to do just the opposite, consume the beer relatively young meaning after it's carbed and coditioned (3 weeks @ 70), and if it tastes fine, the drink it.

Most of the times the effects of oxydized beers occur down the line. Most of the time long after we have drank our two cases....so when it's ready, enjoy and drink away.

But in the fute, if something like that happens, don't become overly frustrated and compound the problem by dumping your beer into the bucket...try to calm down and solve the problem with the autosiphon.

Thanks.

This one of of the many mistakes for my first batch, so hopefully the next one will go smoother.

The auto siphon had already pumped a ton of air into the beer so I figured what the hell. The three weeks it sat in the secondary to clear up went out the drain in about 30 seconds. Oh well.

Bottling is done and we will see what the beer gods bring me....

Thanks.

This one of of the many mistakes for my first batch, so hopefully the next one will go smoother.

The auto siphon had already pumped a ton of air into the beer so I figured what the hell. The three weeks it sat in the secondary to clear up went out the drain in about 30 seconds. Oh well.

Bottling is done and we will see what the beer gods bring me....

There was a Basic Brewing podcast awhile back where one of the biggies in brewing, John Palmer or CHris Colby (of BYO magazine) comented as an aside that it really take a lot of oxygen to actually oxydize your beer, tantamount to pumping an entire red bottle of oxygen into your bottling bucket....So you may be okay...sadly pouring like that is a LOT of air it passed through....

It really is hard to tell...just brew antother batch, make sure this one is in a warm place, and crack the first one in 3 weeks...and if it taste fine, then start drinking, and drink that batch as fast afterwards as possible...just enjoy it, but know that you have another batch already behind that one in the pipeline.

In a few batches that one will be but a distant memory....

We all have so-so batches. But in the great scheme of things, the great ones far outweigh those.

:mug:

Back