Wheat DME in Kolsch Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to brew my first AG beer tomorrow. :rockin:
It is an organic Kolsch that will be for competition, and I just had a brain fart. Do you guys think it might be OK to try to make a yeast starter with Wheat DME and Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast? My recipe has no wheat in it (only 2-row pilsner and munich), but I have read that a small amount of wheat may be used in the style.

Do you think that a small yeast starter (1/2 cup Wheat DME) would impart any added character or flavor to the beer, as opposed to using Extra Light Pilsen DME? :confused: Please comment quickly as I will be making my last run to the LHBS this evening.

you can use whatever wheat dME...
The yeast would love it and multiply. If you don't want to use the wort after propagation, just chill it and pour out most of the "beer" and pitch the fresh yeast...

To go extreme.. you can wash the yeast..

I was thinking that the wheat DME might impart some "wheaty" flavor into the beer, that is why I thought of it. But if it is unnoticeable, then I can just use the light DME I already have. Anyone else have any thoughts???

I'm doing a Kolsch today as well, and I used light DME for my starter. I actually use that for all of my starters!

Up to about 5% wheat in a Kolsch is still within style guidelines, so unless you planned to add tons more, you are probably ok.

Back