Muddy River Mashers Group Brew Recipe: Motor Oil Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
This Saturday, my brew club and I will be doing our imperial stout. Just sat down one night together and we hashed out this recipe. Managed to get everything together for under $50 and that's with shipping. As far as we're concerned, that's a big heck yeah. So, without further ado, enough typing on my part. We'd definitely appreciate your input on this recipe:

Muddy River Mashers Motor Oil Imperial Stout

10 lbs Pilsner Malt

5 lbs Flaked Oats

1 lbs Chocolate Wheat Malt

1 lbs Dark Wheat Malt

1 lbs Chocolate Rye Malt

1 lbs Roasted Barley

1 lbs Extra Dark Crystal Malt

2 lbs Amber Candi Sugar

* and a few ounces of molasses *

1 oz. Galena (or a different ounce of a 10%AA hop I have) at 90 mins
.5 oz. Hallertauer Tradition at 60 mins
.5 oz. Hallertauer Tradition at 45 mins
.5 oz. Glacier at 30 mins
.5 oz. Glacier at 20 mins
1 oz. Willamette at 15 mins

Wyeast Private Collection: Imperial Blend 9093
-and-Safbrew S-33 for backup

Yield: 6 gallons
Predicted OG: 1.098 (mashed at 158 degrees F)
Predicted SRM: 56
Predicted ABV: 10.6% (75% attenuation)
Total IBUs: 58

So there she is. What say you, fellow brethren of beer? :mug:

Bonus question: I don't have any dry or liquid malt extract right now. Is it possible to make a small yeast starter with invert sugar or plain white cane sugar?

It is not a good idea to make a starter from simple sugars as the yeast get lazy and don't want to ferment the tougher ones (like maltose).

GT

It is not a good idea to make a starter from simple sugars as the yeast get lazy and don't want to ferment the tougher ones (like maltose).

GT
Hm, I figured that might be the case. It's been a long time since I made a proper starter. That's why I've got that extra yeast. :D

To get this kind of gravity down properly, you're going to need a huge starter, so step it up a couple times too......it sounds good!

can you explain, briefly, your group's thinking process on the hop schedule? I'm still learning about how to utilize differnet types of hops, and I love to hear how others do it....the only one of those I've even used is Williamette.

To get this kind of gravity down properly, you're going to need a huge starter, so step it up a couple times too......it sounds good!

can you explain, briefly, your group's thinking process on the hop schedule? I'm still learning about how to utilize differnet types of hops, and I love to hear how others do it....the only one of those I've even used is Williamette.
Well, the goal was to find hops that had characteristics that would complement the style and flavor of this beer, without being too strong or harsh for bittering. Then, we broke down some of the hop additions in half to keep the IBUs low while allowing more time for hop flavor and aroma to come out for those additions.

Back