Using 1/4" braided line for beer line - ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I have a huge supply of this stuff and have used it on two kegs to date, but I am having problems with foaming issues. Is this stuff not good for beer lines? What type of beer line would you recommend if I was picking it up at my LHBS or Lowes?

The current line I am using is 1/4" braided and rated for 250psi. The lines are currently 8ft long. The braided line is typically used for fountain systems and is foodgrade. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Salute! :mug:

Here's a picture of the type of line I am currently using.

hoses-cid-67.html

To balance with 1/4", it could take up to 25' per faucet. There's also a few threads going around about increasing pour resistance inside the keg, etc. I'm too lazy at the moment to find them and link.

I can't see why it wouldn't work unless its normally used for premix pop lines. I'm guessing you just need longer lines.

Has anyone actually compared the no-foaming lines to regular lines? I thought I heard someone say they were just thicker. I really can't see braided lines flexing at all with serving pressure.

My LHBS stocks beer line (Black 3/16") and I will pick up 10ft of it tomorrow to see if changing the ID makes a significant difference. If it does, I can head on back and get the more to replace the second line.

1/4" has little to no resistance compared to 3/16" You will like the 3/16". I would prefer clear over black.
The 1/4" line you have is probably for soda.

Picked up the new 3/16" Black Beer Line and replaced the 1/4". Made a world of difference on my IPA. Nice flow, good head. I am happy with this one, but my Stout is still acting funny. Less foam, but still creates a lot of it and it takes forever to disapate.

I have to set the beer/gas mixture at 9psi to get it to pour well. I thought beer/gas was supposed to be set high like 20psi on a stout. Any suggestions on getting it to dispense a little better?

Thanks.

I'm always hearing about issues with 1/4" ID line. I run 5' of 1/4" ID line to each of my 2 taps and have never had foaming problems. In fact I get perfect pours 100% of the time.

-Mike

Back