My cider season started today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
Finally!!! First batch of 2012 is underway. done the dutch way, of course; bikes bikes bikes. From the local orchard, freshly picked, big box of elstar (right) and cox orange pippins (left). These form the base for most of my ciders. sharps and crabs to be added. also got assorted veg and 5kg pears, why not
i have nothing further to say, just happy cider season has begun.

and mushroom foraging, and big beer brewing... autumn's not so bad

cs1.jpg

cs2.jpg

Great photography!
If it rains here in Oregon soon, we may just salvage our fall mushroom season!
All the best on your "green" cider!

off topic, but found this 600g king bolete / porcini / boletus edulis last week, not bad eh?

DSC_9182.jpg

Nice find!

There are many varieties of Boletes in the wilderness around me, never found a king though!

What's a bolete?

My cider season is taking off today as well. Dropped off my barrels at the cider mill. Will have 35 gallons of fresh pressed by tomorrow afternoon. $6.50 / gallon
:mad::mad::mad: Exactly double over last year.

Will have 35 gallons of fresh pressed by tomorrow afternoon.

wow!!!! that's a lot. i'm such a small operation, i doubt i'll even do 35 liters this year.

boletus: i get mostly boletus badius, they grow like wildfire in the pine forests on the glacial moraine near here. nobody picks them. almost nobody, i should say. i eat them until i'm blue. i dry loads of them. not quite as tasty as edulis but not half bad.

We have chanterelles growing here on Vancouver island, haven't picked in years though, used to sell em, never thought to pick to eat lol.

I'll make my first cider next week. Just 5 gal. Something simple with a bit of spices and honey. What yeast you guys use ?

So Boletus is a mushroom?

I have too many friends and coworkers who enjoy my efforts. It takes a large batch to get me thru the year.:rockin:

So Boletus is a mushroom?

I have too many friends and coworkers who enjoy my efforts. It takes a large batch to get me thru the year.:rockin:

Oh man I wish I had access to crab apples, I love crab apple jelly, so good, if I didnt live in a strata complex, I'd grow as many crab apple trees as I could.

first 2012 cider is ready! oaked, semi-sweet, sparkling. bottled it early to hold me over until the dry ciders and winter lagers are ready.

cid.jpg

Very nice! Corona bottle? I use brown bottles and can't see until I pour.

thanks! it's a soda bottle from a little local place that makes cool sodas like orange ginger beer and raspberry lemonade. easy label to remove, no markings on the glass, thick bottle. unfortunately i only have a few

thanks! it's a soda bottle from a little local place that makes cool sodas like orange ginger beer and raspberry lemonade. easy label to remove, no markings on the glass, thick bottle. unfortunately i only have a few

Take a pic. I'd like to see the bottle

there's one five posts back. unless you mean the bottle in its ginger beer livery? i've used them all for bottling, i'll have to go buy one!

finale to the 2012 cider season, as i just started my only two 2013 cider fermentations last week. kept the most promising 10L jug from last year, kegged it up today for the holiday season. 13+ months old, crystal clear, and tasting pretty damn good~~!!

WP_20131117_001.jpg

Back