Re-Use Dry Hops to Replace Aged Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almighty

Reaction score
So I was kegging some California Common last night that I dry hopped with Northern Brewer. I was thinking it seems like such a waste to throw my dry hops. People have reused them before, it was discussed in this old thread.
I was just wondering if anyone sees why it is not a good substitute for Aged Hops. Isn't the main reason to age hops to remove the hop aroma and flavor. Let me know if I'm missing something but I think I'm going to start saving all my used dry hops.

Aged hops have that kind of cheesy flavor and aroma that comes from oxidation.You need that combination of oxidation and age to get that characteristic flavor and aroma. You are not going to get it from hops that have already been used. Those hops are just spent.. Granted, I haven't visited the thread you spoke of, but come on, are hops really THAT expensive that you have to re-use them? It just seems wrong to me.

Dryhopping with them would only use some of their aromatic qualities right? So you could conceivably use them for bittering in another batch. However I think to go along with aged hops the AA is almost diminished so you get hardly any IBUs from them. You're probably have good AA left so I wouldn't use them in something that you only want the anti-bacterial factor.

From what I have read you want to age your hops past the "cheesy" phase.

Yes, hops are not a huge expense but I think it is smart to reuse as much as you can. And I'm always looking for ways to cut costs and increase efficiency because that means I can make more beer for the same price/effort.
Plus it takes a long time to age hops to that point and this way seems like it may get the same result.

Yes, hops are not a huge expense but I think it is smart to reuse as much as you can. And I'm always looking for ways to cut costs and increase efficiency because that means I can make more beer for the same price/effort.
Plus it takes a long time to age hops to that point and this way seems like it may get the same result.

Yeah you want them way past the cheesy state. Lambic breweries keep them in a hot attic for like 3 years.

Dryhopping with them would only use some of their aromatic qualities right? So you could conceivably use them for bittering in another batch. However I think to go along with aged hops the AA is almost diminished so you get hardly any IBUs from them. You're probably have good AA left so I wouldn't use them in something that you only want the anti-bacterial factor.

This....

+1 on reusing but not for this application

Well for some sour beers you want some bitterness but no hop aroma so I thought that would work well. And assuming they are somewhat low alpha hops because they are being used for aroma.
I guess for beers where you want to add hops just for antibacterial purposes but keep the bitterness low this won't work.
That raises another question of what quantity of hops do you need add to these sour beers like a lambic to have the antibacterial effects work?

i don't think they ever age past their cheesy phase and that's why traditional lambics are boiled for so long. to drive off those cheesy aromas and/or flavors. i would be afraid if you already dry hopped with them that you've lost your preservative qualities which the aged hops never lose.

i would definitely not reuse them for a style requiring so much patience. reusing them at all is questionable but your choice. personally i wouldn't do it for any beer...

Back