Favorite IPA Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfernoBrews

Reaction score
Was just curious what everyone's Favorite Hops are used in IPA's?

I just made a new IPA (Low Pro IPA) recipe and have already made 3 batches of it,Used Citra. I can keep it on tap. Had to get a Custom Handle For it too.. So guess you could say i'm on a Citra Hop Kick right now!

You'll get lots of opinions on this topic. I like Centennial, Amarillo, and Simcoe.

My favorite at the moment is Citra. Can't go wrong with simcoe/amarillo/centennial for flavor/aroma. I use a lot of columbus to bitter and cascade to dry hop also. But Citra is good for all.

I have not tried citra yet and want to. Now I would say Simcoe and Centennial

I've been big on Centennial lately. It just seems to fit well with my go to hoppy beers. Citra hadn't even been on my radar but now I really want to try it. After reading its description I want to substitute it in this weekend's brew but my very large, national LHBS says it won't be back in stock until December. WTF?

Im a citrus/grapefruit/flowery IPA type so I like Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade. Havent had the opportunity to try Citra yet but I like what I hear about it.

I have been a big fan of centennial and columbus for a while. Lately citra has been a favorite. The only issue with citra is that layering hop flavors is tricky with it. It tends to overwhelm everything else. Just takes trial and error I guess.

EKG.
2.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 9.90 55.4 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.60 9.9 30 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.60 7.8 20 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.60 6.4 15 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.60 4.7 10 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.60 2.6 5 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.60 0.0 0 min.
1.50 oz. Goldings - B.C. Pellet 4.40 0.0 Dry Hop
Here's the hop schedule for last weeks 5g batch. I did two brews last year with a very similar schedule. One used American "C" hops, and the other used EKG. The EKG version was much preferred by everybody who tried both of them.

-a.

Latest posts

Back