Can I pasteurise by heating my actual cider in a stainless pot to 150??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeOldeBeard

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting out a hard cider but I would like to stop fermentation a little early. I used Red Star Champagne yeast and I was told cold crashing this yeast will not do much. I have been looking into pasteurization instead.

Can I rack my cider into a stainless pot and heat it to 150 degrees like that??

My plan was after pasteurization to put it in the fridge to let the dead yeast settle and rack one more time to add my final ingredients. Will this work??

I"ve heard people bottle it and let it condition to your desired carbonation level and then pasteurize. You'd have to add more yeast to get it to bottle condition if you pasteurized it in bulk. Theoretically it would work but I don't know if it's a good idea.

I am looking for a still cider I dont want it carbonated at all.

I am just looking to kill the yeast then rack a few times to clear it a little, then add my sugars. I would like to give it away in mason jars of possible.

From what I read it would have to be @150 degrees for 15 minutes. Would a cambden tablet be better??

Only kills most of the yeast, not all. I froze mine, thawed, put in the fridge for a day, racked, put in the fridge again for 3 days with a shot of biofin (finning agent) to clear, racked into my keg, backsweetened, sealed and pressurized to 20psi, and let it sit in hot water over the stove until the surface of the keg was too hot to hold my palm on for more than a few seconds... I'm going to test in a soda bottle wednesday to see if fermentation re-starts. If it does, I'm convinced that Safale S-04 is indestructible.... Then proceed to heat my keg up until the the keg burns the **** out of my hand when I try to touch it.

you need to use campdne and potasium sorbate to completely kill the yeast, shoul be maybe 5 bucks at your lhbs

huntingohio said:
you need to use campdne and potasium sorbate to completely kill the yeast, shoul be maybe 5 bucks at your lhbs

No, campden and potassium will NOT kill the yeast. If active fermentation is going on, campden won't do a damn thing.

No, campden and potassium will NOT kill the yeast. If active fermentation is going on, campden won't do a damn thing.

Exactly!

The way it DOES work is that sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction, and it works better in the presence of sulfites (campden).

What that means on a practical level is that you can allow the cider to ferment out completely, until clear and no longer dropping lees. Once there are no more lees dropping, you can rack onto a sorbate/campden mix and then sweeten the cider to taste and then bottle. The sorbate/campden keep the yeast from reproducing, and since there aren't that many yeast present by that time, then fermentation does not restart when sweeteners are added. This is very commonly done.

Back