Moisture in Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButchTN

Reaction score
Well, it's not a kegerator yet, but I have the chest style freezer (8.? cubic feet, Whirlpool). I had to get it cause the swmbo wanted the corny out of the regular fridge, and I got a good deal. I hooked up the temp controller and everything works fine, but I have quite a bit of moisture sweating about on the inside.
I can't imagine the moisture will hurt anything, but I would prefer a much dryer environment. Has anyone ever used one of those hydrosorbent silica gel packs in their kegerator? Example: Products Offered by Hydrosorbent Dehumidifiers

Just wanting some general thoughts here.

Don't know about those specific products, but Damp-Rid works great in my lagerator. Completely drenched with moisture without it, completely taken care of with it. Available at The Depot in with the painting supplies, which makes it convenient for me.

Right now, you can get two of these shipped for $19.90.

Just set them in your freezer, and when the display changes colors, take out and plug into the wall. No batteries needed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, you can get two of these shipped for $19.90.

Just set them in your freezer, and when the display changes colors, take out and plug into the wall. No batteries needed!

+1.

Been using one for a while now and it works great! As bsay said, when the little crystals in it get saturated with water, you plug it in for a few hours until it dries out and then put it right back in the kegerator. Money well spent. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome!!! No more soggy freezing towels :rockin:

I just converted a mini fridge (shank through door) and I have quite a bit of condensation in mine... Is this normal I guess? I think it is because I removed a good amount of insulation out of the door... The door is now cold to touch and it seems to lose temp fairly quick. Anyone have any suggestions?

Get damp rid like the_bird said. I use it in my ferm chamber and it completely got rid of the moisture/mold issues.

I use a bucket of DampRid in my keezer, but I need to replace it now. I may have to get those eva-dry things, though!

I was told that condensation is a sign of an air leak somewhere in the keezer. I went kinda crazy about that for a while, then realized there's no leak... I just can't stop opening the door.

I use desiccant in electronic applications, and whenever it is replaced we just take out the old crystals and replace them with new ones. The old ones can just be heated up in the oven to release the moisture, and reused. It's the same thing as what you linked except that it's just the color changing crystals without the fancy cover or built in heater. It's up to you but you could save a little money just buying the crystals.

scsi said:
I use a bucket of DampRid in my keezer, but I need to replace it now. I may have to get those eva-dry things, though!

I was told that condensation is a sign of an air leak somewhere in the keezer. I went kinda crazy about that for a while, then realized there's no leak... I just can't stop opening the door.

Yeah I am just wondering from this thread if a good amount of condensation is typical or if my removing the insulation has completely screwed me. I backed the door with insulating styrofoam after the fact but this has not helped at all. Although I haven't glued down the styrofoam or sealed it to the door so maybe if I do that I'll be good.

Back