Bottle caps....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evans5150

Reaction score
I have "The Universal Capper" ( http://www.smartcart.com/maltbyault/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=TAP001 ) and wanted to know if you can use this capper on bottles that are twist-offs such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I have brewed my first batch of homebrew ever and it is currently bottle conditioning. I am eager to start an ESB but will need to drink some more store bought beer to get my bottles.

Thanks in advance,

evans5150

homebrewer_99 said:
You should be able to, but why would you want to...other than the beer you buy comes in twist-offs.

You could always drink from and save bottles that are not TOs.

Sounds good. The reason I wanted to know is because I have a stock of beer that currently uses twist offs and I don't necessarily drink beer based on whether it's a twist-off or not.

Most brewers here would recommend not using them. Of course, there's always the exception...:D

I don't use them (twist-offs). Never have. With over 30 cases of bottle, I probably never will either.

Though technically speaking, the "seal" is not at/on the threads, but on the top of the bottle rim. If the capper is able to crimp the cap then it should seal because prior to crimping you are applying downward pressure on the cap.

Seems like a toss up here, I've been told in general it's not a good idea to use twist off's as a homebrewer, I use crimping.
Suggestion.... buy some bottles...are you only using the bottles from previously drunk beer?

Back