15th AG session a Kolsch wow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
I just racked my first Kolsch to secondary. The alcohol % is 8% amazing. The stuff is clear gold with a great taste right out of the primary. I can't wait, the golden soup will truly be golden for Christmas time. My mentor came over to the man cave ten days ago and he watched me brew up this Kolsch recipe. i added 1.5 lbs of honey to the mix. maybe this was a mistake but I don't think so. I tasted the primary result and wow it will be killer when finally matured. All grain is kind of a pain in the A$$ but the results are worth the effort. Neighbor lady comes by the garage on brew day and says what are you doing? Why don't you just go to the store and buy it? I say no way especially after you have had some amazing home made stuff better than anything you have EVER had why waste you money on budweiser swill? They have no clue. Am I a beer snob now??? man I hope not, I still can drink a mass produced product. I just don't really want to plus making it myself is absolulty fasinating and cool at the same time.

I just put my second kolsch in the keg, and have my first batch in bottles (which was my first PM that convinced me AG was the way to go). as you can tell, I found Kolsch to be quite drinkable.

that's a high alcohol kolsch...a little too high for style actually.
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html#style6C

but I am a big believer in 'brew what you wanna drink!'

shoot me a private message if you wanna swap Kolsch recipes. my grain bill is boring but the hop additions make it a winner in my book.

harvest that yeast if you can too. wyeast kolsch strain is pretty clean fermenting if you can keep it in the mid 60's. I'm planning an oktoberfest with some washed kolsch yeast since I'm not into lagering yet.

cheers!

Back