Cabernet Oak Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfxdoyle

Reaction score
So I want to try oak cubes in a Dubbel, and i had the idea to let the oak sit in a Cabernet for a few weeks. I thought the rich flavors of the dubbel would be complemented well with a soft hint of dry cab sav. Anyone tried this before? Any recommendations?

While I personally have not done it, I've heard it's best to soak about 2oz. of oak in the wine, and to change the wine every 2-3 days. This will extract some of the oak tannin, mellowing it out, and allowing it to soak up the wine.

If you're like me, though, that's a lot of wine that you could be drinking. I'd say boil the oak for 5-10 minutes, strain off the water, and add the oak with the wine into the secondary.

ive done this a number of times in my sours. typically what i do is leave the chips in a mason jar with the wine, cap it and leave in the fermentation fridge with the date and type of red wine used. the longest i have left a beer on the red wine oak is about 7 months. then i kegged it. the wine and oak flavors are really strong right off the bat but mellow over the next month and blended nicely. first the flavors were very distinctive and linear. meaning you tasted the wine, then oak, then sour (all dry flavors) and finishing with sweet malty.
i did not boil the chips ever or change the wine on the chips out. just left it in the capped mason jars for a month or so.
i am trying different toasts and different wines.
good luck

Back