Citra RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Bells
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
see below
iPhone_007.jpg

This has turned out to be one of my best brews. I think the key is the citra hops and the Bells yeast, creates the nicest fruitiness. I wouldn't hesitate to up the late hop additions if I brew this again.

For the yeast I pitched the dregs of 3 2hearted into 100ml of starter on the stirplate. A day later I bumped it with 1000ml of starter to 1200ml total. There was a nice big cake after a day so I decided that was good to pitch. It attenuated very well and floc'd like crazy. If you can't get this yeast then of course something like S-05 or WLP001 will be great but this beer has a great fruit character that I get in 2hearted as well.

10# Vienna
.5# flaked barley
.5# C60
2# rye

1.5oz Cascade @ 60
1oz Citra @ 20
.5oz Citra @ 10
.5oz Citra @ 5
1oz Citra @ 0

Dry hop with 1oz each cascade/citra in keg or for 10 days in primary before bottling

That's some attenuation you got there. Hope you washed and saved the yeast.

I love the citra/cascade combo. My citra/cascade pale is one of the best beers I've made. Also mixed them in the dry hopping like you did. Might have to try out this recipe, thanks.

This looks great! Im going to brew it this weekend, with a few changes to the recipe based on what I have available:

11lb Vienna malt
0.5 lb Cara-pils/Dextrin
0.5lb Crystal 60L
1lb Rye
1.5oz Cascade @ 60
1oz Citra @ 20
.5oz Citra @ 10
1oz Citra @ 5
1oz Citra @ 0
1oz Citra dryhop
1oz Cascade dryhop

I have to go with S-04 since its the only yeast I have left available. I havent used rye before, what does it bring to a beer? And will a single pound of rye be enough (i have exactly one pound of rye given to me by the LHBS)

Back