Cleaning and Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are sanitizing with Sani-Brew (that pink powder) then that is basically chlorinated TSP - also a cleaner. So just go ahead and sanitize everything. Try to stay away from using soaps, which tend to leave a residue. As long as things look and feel and smell clean, then you are probably ready to sanitize. You can't hurt anything by being to clean, but you can hurt things if you add residues and lemon-scent.

I use plastic, and after each brew I fill it to the top with water (usually from the hose) add a couple of glugs of bleach and let it sit for a few hours. This helps get the nooks and crannies clean, gets rid of the smell and residue and leaves it clean and fresh. Then before I brew, a little Star San (which I'm new on) in another completely full bucket of water for about 1 hour. While I'm boiling, I'm sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back