Is Acid Blend the same as wine Acid Blend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrohan

Reaction score
Is Acid Blend the same as wine Acid Blend? If it is, I'll try it. I'd like to try souing a Saison and a recipe I saw calls for Acid Blend. Not too sure about it. What would you do instead of using Acid Blend. Would souring be better? thanks!

Yeah, same thing. It is a blend of various different acids, but to me it comes across like the sourness from fruit rather than beer because it is mostly citric and malic acids (which are most often found in fruit).

If you have the time a full souring with a variety of different microbes would probably be the tastiest option. Baring that adding some lactic acid would give you a character closer to a wild fermentation. If you go that way I would add ½-1 oz of 88% lactic acid for a moderate sour twang in 5 gallons. I would add the acid during primary fermentation as it has a bit of a buttery note that the yeast will clean up as fermentation wraps up.

Also, welcome to the board

Back