Quick question on adding sugar for carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyDee

Reaction score
I used corn sugar in my batch of beer to ferment it. I am ready to bottle it and am wondering if I should use corn sugar or regular granulated sugar.

I was going to try dissolving the sugar in some water but have changed my mind as this is my first batch.

TIA

Use corn sugar, better known as dextrose. It is a monosaccharide and easier for the yeast to ferment.

Boil a cup of water, and dissolve the dextrose in that. You won't notice the added volume of water, and this will make sure that your aren't infecting your brew.

Just so I am correct in doing this...boil a cup of water, add the required amount of corn sugar and then ADD this to my beer before bottling?

Thanks

Most brewers put the boiled and cooled sugar solution in the bottling bucket and transfer your beer into that container. It should mix in more thouroughly with that approach.

Yes, boil the cup of water, dissolving the dextrose in the water. You want to make sure to cool it down before adding it to the beer.

Probably one of the best ways to mix in the dextrose-water is to first pour it into your sanitized bottling bucket. Then you will want to siphon your beer out of your fermenter into your bottling bucket, but make a coil at the bottom of the bottling bucket with your siphon hose.

This will allow your beer to mix and evenly distribute your added sugar into your beer while minimizing splashing. And Don't worry, Relax, and Have a Homebrew!

Back