Making A Starter with Boiled Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've neer done a starter before and I wanted to do it with the batch currently in my boil kettle, BUT I completely forgot to do it. Can I take my Boiled Wort WITH hops in it, make a starter with it, and then add it to the wort tomorrow? I have yet to have any problems with fermentation without a starter yet but if I can do this I will do it. I have 30 mins left in the boil HELP!!! :rockin:

Yes, yes you can!

Now can I use say a pack of dried yeast for the starter and then my nice good Wyeast Irish Ale pack for my main batch??? As well, how much should I use for a starter? 1L??? Thanks.

Why would you use a starter for dry yeast? There are enough cells in a packet of dry yeast to do the job already. You could do this with your Irish Ale, but which pack are you using? The Activator packs are also all ready to ferment the whole batch. You will only need a starter if you bought a Propogator pack, in which case I would cool that starter liquid as fast as possible, add the yeast once the starter is below 90F, and then add the whole starter to the main batch tommorrow.

As to how big of a starter, try this: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I have a standard pack of Irish Ale Activator. 100 billion yeast cells. No need for a starter?

I have a standard pack of Irish Ale Activator. 100 billion yeast cells. No need for a starter?

I would make a starter. It's a good habit to get into. Like it was already said, use Mr. Malty.
Not knowing your OG, even if it's 50, Mr. Malty says you need 175 billion cells, almost two packs(1.8). I am inputting this using today's date with the yeast and assuming your yeast is a couple of weeks old that would mean you would need even more than 1.8 packs.
Another reason for a starter is just to know its viable. I make a starter for all liquid and washed yeast no matter how low the starting gravity is.
If you are a relatively new brewer, its better to have good brewing habits instead of trying to cut corners.IMO.

Starters do more than just multiply cells. The yeast cells have become active and have already created the necessary enzymes to break down malt. There will be no lag time for fermentation if you pitch with an active starter. It ensures a thorough and rapid fermentation, and gives any wild yeast in the wort very little time to create off flavors.

I wouldn't create a starter in this situation, and just pitch the yeast. 24 hours runs the risk of wild yeast consuming some of your fermentables. It isn't likely, but what you'll get out of the starter isn't worth the risk of contamination.

Back