Swedish n00b

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iddqd

Reaction score
Evening. I've lurked here for a while and already have some posts, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a 21 year old student living in Gothenburg, Sweden. Hobbies other than beer include music (mostly death metal, but I enjoy most genres), politics and anything computer related.

I bottled my first batch a few days ago. It's an APA with lots of Cascade, Amarillo and some EKG. My next project will probably be an extract version of Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter with some Jack Daniel's barrel chips. Other than that, I'm thinking about brewing a Stone Anniversary XI clone. Both because I like what I've had from Stone and also because I'm curious about the "IBA" style.

Well, that's pretty much it for now.

Welcome. The IBA (aka Cascadia Dark Ale) is proving to be a difficult beer. High hop levels and dark grains don't play well together. The best efforts I've tasted have used de-husked dark grains which add little or no flavor, so they taste exactly like IPAs.

Welcome.

I always wondered why there wasn't more homebrewing in Sweden. The System Bloget can get expensive, although I haven't been there since the EU took over and I suppose there wouldn't have been much brewing at the university.

Welcome. The IBA (aka Cascadia Dark Ale) is proving to be a difficult beer. High hop levels and dark grains don't play well together. The best efforts I've tasted have used de-husked dark grains which add little or no flavor, so they taste exactly like IPAs.
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find an IBA and try it out before i brew one. I actually bought a bottle of Dark Hops from Beer Here while I was in Denmark, but the bag broke on the way home. :(

Welcome.

I always wondered why there wasn't more homebrewing in Sweden. The System Bloget can get expensive, although I haven't been there since the EU took over and I suppose there wouldn't have been much brewing at the university.
Well, Systembolaget's assortment has improved a lot since the early 90's, but it still isn't very good. For example, there's no American IPA in the "permanent selection". Also, according to a recent survey, Systembolaget has about 1800 wines, compared to the 20000 available on the Danish market. I think that applies to beer as well.
And yes, the prices are way too high. A 17 oz bottle of Ocean IPA (which is brewed about 500 feet from my home) is 29 SEK ($4).

Homebrewing isn't very big, but it exists. We have a homebrewing organization which holds competitions every year and it's possible to get most ingredients and equipment online, so we survive.

Evening. I've lurked here for a while and already have some posts, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a 21 year old student living in Gothenburg, Sweden. Hobbies other than beer include music (mostly death metal, but I enjoy most genres), politics and anything computer related.

I bottled my first batch a few days ago. It's an APA with lots of Cascade, Amarillo and some EKG. My next project will probably be an extract version of Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter with some Jack Daniel's barrel chips. Other than that, I'm thinking about brewing a Stone Anniversary XI clone. Both because I like what I've had from Stone and also because I'm curious about the "IBA" style.

Well, that's pretty much it for now.

if you are from Sweden and wasn't a fan of death metal..id be very worried :p

Yeah - the distribution of alcohol when I was in Sweden surprised me - for a country that's fairly liberal about alcohol, it sure was hard to find any. Here in NC you can buy beer & wine at the grocery store, but anything distilled is sold exclusively at the state run Alcoholic Beverage Control stores, and we even have 'Dry Counties' still. I spent a week in Gimo and a week in Sandviken in 2008. Swedes definitely drink (Bandy Coffee anyone?), they even had 2% alcohol beer in the company cafeteria! But anything stronger than about 2% was in the Systembolaget, which I didn't find out about until the day before I left.

Well, Systembolaget's assortment has improved a lot since the early 90's, but it still isn't very good. For example, there's no American IPA in the "permanent selection". Also, according to a recent survey, Systembolaget has about 1800 wines, compared to the 20000 available on the Danish market. I think that applies to beer as well.
And yes, the prices are way too high. A 17 oz bottle of Ocean IPA (which is brewed about 500 feet from my home) is 29 SEK ($4).

Homebrewing isn't very big, but it exists. We have a homebrewing organization which holds competitions every year and it's possible to get most ingredients and equipment online, so we survive.

Yeah, I remember the selection wasn't too spectacular, but I was an american college student, that was used to drinking the typical college beers. So I did enjoy that you bought each bottle individually in the systembolaget. It definately allowed me to keep trying different beers... until I discovered absinth.

Back