Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rammelkamp

Reaction score
This is my favorite porter.

Does anyone have a recipe to clone it? (extract)

How about some tips to approximate the taste.

Why not email them to find some information out? Start with a base porter recipe like 80% pale 2-row, 15% crystal 60L, 5% chocolate. Shoot for 1.05something and 40ish IBUs (no flavor or aroma additions in my porters).

Awesome porter, great brewery, great people. I can't wait to visit my daughter in April. She lives just down the street from Ballast Point and Homebrew Mart

Looks like you're in SD. Just head over to home brew mart and ask them. They're pretty good with helping people out.

That is exactly what I did.

Here is the recipe that they gave me in case anyone else is intersted.

9 lbs. Coopers Light Malt Extract
1 lbs. 60L Crystal
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
.25 lbs Black Malt

1.5 oz Galena (10.5%) 60 min.
1 oz Centennial 2 min.

White Labs Burton Ale Yeast

---

Not only did I get the recipe and ingredients, but I got a killer buzz too. They serve a bunch of samples of specialty brews that they craft. I had a killer Ginger Beer that tasted like sushi.

Awesome porter, great brewery, great people. I can't wait to visit my daughter in April. She lives just down the street from Ballast Point and Homebrew Mart

You'll be stoked. It is a very cool shop with nice people.

She might live down the street from me. She doesn't happen to live in Pt. Loma or Ocean Beach, does she?

Cheers!:mug:

Just down the street is more like Bay Park or lower Clairmont, I know way too much about that area, just had to re-design the master plan for my urban design class. I'm going to have to check out that ginger beer though, I've been trying to make something similar.

+1 for Ballast Point... had their Pale and Porter. REALLY nice stuff!

It's my second favorite porter... sorry, I am a Fullers London Porter fanatic. BP is a close second.

Back