Bud Light type recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r3n0

Reaction score
Hi, i am very new to brewing, and ive brewed 3 batches so far, i need to build up my taste for beer so i want to brew somethgn as close to budlight as possible, slighty beery, mostly watery but alchoholic, any sugestions?

I am currently brewing German Oktoberfest beer right now, SMells very strong!

i have a question though, how do u know if u have a 'bad' batch?
thanks
sorry, im very new

I would go with a wheat beer. There are several clones out there do a quick net search for budlight clone. How do you know if you had a bad batch...hmmm well, 1. If its undrinkable. 2. If it smells terrible. 3. Sometimes you can have mold or nasties growing on top not to be confused with tiney bubbles from the yeast finishing up. 4. If you fermented at temps out of range it can cause problems. Its a hard question to answer there are many things that can cause issues with your brew. Just be careful use a good sanitizer I like idophor its so easy to work with no rinse. Dont be so careful that it makes brewing a pain. Anything that touches your beer after it is cooled make sure its clean and sanitized. I have noticed sometimes when I bottle somebrews dont taste so good but after a month in the bottle they are good, then I have had some that were awesome right out of the secondary. Unless its just completely nasty give it some time in the bottle. This is my personal preferance but I dont like malt extract in a can, use the bulk if you can with good yeast and fresh hops. Then go all grain!!! good luck

i have a question though, how do u know if u have a 'bad' batch?

If you open a bottle, take a taste then dump the rest of the batch down the drain it's a bad batch

As for the Bud lite type beer my first reaction was Why? . . .after I thought about it a bit I thought try a American pale ale . . . check out these links they should help

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category10.html
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html - probably closer to what you are looking for
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipes

well why i would want to brew bud light type beer

im 20, u know doing the college thing, light tastes the best for the job .. you know :)

i KNOW as i get older my taste buds will develop and be more adjusted untill then ill stick a little lighter with the flavor

I was surprised to find my son in college likeing the darker
beers myself.

I don't think I would invest the time to clone a Bud light when you
can buy similiar stuff for under $10 a case. IMHO

light lagers (and Bud Light is in the category) are among the hardes beers to get right as a home brewer. There is not much taste derived from the malt or hops to hide imoerfections during the brewing and especially the fermentation process. To get something like Bud Light you will probaply use malt extract and rice extract. And I'm not sure what kind of hops they are using.

This being said, I second the other replies. You will be much happier if you try yourself on a light ale (Blond Ale, Cream Ale ...) If you don't like it bitter, just go easy on the hops and keep the IBUs in the lower 20s

At what temp is the Oktoberfest fermenting ? Does it smell strong during fermentation or during brewing ?

Kai

Just my opinion, but if your in college and looking to pound alot, spend the 9.99 and get an 18 pack. If Im drinking something I spent this long to make, I don't want to be slamming them not even taking the time to enjoy it.

This is OT and kind of embarrasing, but Ill drink Busch Light before I drink Bud Light. Better head, a little more flavor, and better color. Ive done the "Pepsi Challenge" to alot of people. Without showing them the can it came out of, alot more chose the Busch as better tasting. Not to mention its alot less expensive. It's amazing what you'll come back from the store with when your in school and broke most of the time.

:tank:

First off, you need to be able to lager at cold controlled temperatures, right? Since that's most likely not possible for a 20 year old, I don't think you're going to be able to clone a crisp light lager.

If you do have a fridge dedicated to lagering beer-- then I'd go ahead and agree with everyone else that the time and money you put into making the beer won't be worth it when you can buy the stuff for less.

Dude, don't drink that chit...let alone brew it. You might as well just drink Natty Ice.

The one Pumbaa suggested looked like you would like it. Look for recipies with higher ABV and a lighter body. American Pale Ale is another one to look into. Just find something easy and cheap if the taste isn't important.

I'll also second the Busch being better than Bud. Coors Light is better than both, IMHO. It is hard to beat the price tag of those when brewing yor own. Natty Light was my beer of choice in school - 9.99 for 24.

beerlover84 said:
I'll also second the Busch being better than Bud. Coors Light is better than both, IMHO. It is hard to beat the price tag of those when brewing yor own. Natty Light was my beer of choice in school - 9.99 for 24.
I never thought I would ever read something like that in this forum...:(

quick n dirty bud clone:

3 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
2 lbs. Corn Sugar
2 lbs. Honey
.33 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.33 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.
.33 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 teaspoons Irish Moss (not included in calculations)
Yeast : WYeast 1056 American Ale

yea yea i know no rice...but hey you want rice hangover and/or other intestinal maladies??

brewing cost around $23 - which is incidentially what you can buy two cases of bud for...

i third the busch canoe beer tasting better than a bud

UNOmar said:
Must be a New York thing.
Not necessarily. Although I also drink Coors Light as well as other commercial beers on occasion. Depends on where I am and what they have.

By the way Beerlover, where in upsate NY are you? I'm just outside of Albany. I know some people think of anything north of the City as upstate.

brewhead said:
quick n dirty bud clone:

3 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
2 lbs. Corn Sugar
2 lbs. Honey
.33 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.33 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.
.33 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 teaspoons Irish Moss (not included in calculations)
Yeast : WYeast 1056 American Ale

Is this really a 'clone' recipe?

Doesnt bud use a lager yeast? and German hops like Hallertauer?

i find it hard to believe that recipe will make a beer even remotley like budweiser. (correct me if im wrong)

I think this recipe is a manifestation of your unconscious mind trying to put forth a SNPA clone...

I also believe that Bud uses 6-row barley. This might actually hard to come by as extract ;) But it definately affects the taste for the worse, as required by the style ;)

Kai

2nd Street Brewery said:
Not necessarily. Although I also drink Coors Light as well as other commercial beers on occasion. Depends on where I am and what they have.

By the way Beerlover, where in upsate NY are you? I'm just outside of Albany. I know some people think of anything north of the City as upstate.

You are the first one to call me on that; I'm in Fishkill, it's around Poughkeepsie. I use the term "upstate" loosely. Thinking of moving a little more north and to the other side of the river. It's not like I'm in Westchester right now, but property values are getting a tad ridiculous..

Doesnt bud use a lager yeast? and German hops like Hallertauer?

the guy said he's a beginner. i didn't think i needed to overcomplicate things by introducing a whole new process called lagering.

i certainly think it's possible to brew something that loosly "tastes" like a bud without lagering.

yes for the purist i spose we could get into the whole lagering process...and perhaps this does come somewhere in the middle of snpa and a bud - i mean technically if you want to "clone" a budweiser thein you will have to scale down a budweiser plant to a 5 gallon batch

OR

brew something that tastes like it within the realm of a beginner's expertise. perhaps clone w2as a bad choice of word.

so i want to brew somethgn as close to budlight as possible, slighty beery, mostly watery but alchoholic, any sugestions?

i think the recipe fills the bill

just my .02 worth - i'm probably over selling myself

brewhead said:
brew something that tastes like it within the realm of a beginner's expertise. perhaps clone w2as a bad choice of word.

i hear ya...i didnt mean to get all semantical, i just have a pet peeve when it comes to so-called 'clone beers'. ive seen recipes such as an 'anchor steam clone' that doesnt use northern brewer hops (or even perle). My definition of a clone is a beer that uses the same ingredients as the original, (assuming of course you know what that is) like any sam adams beer, they tell you the type of hops they use, the type of malt, the ibu's and the og and fg and even certain procedures (like cold fermenting of thier boston ale). i cringe when i see a 'sam adams boston ale clone' that calls for hallertauer hops when it says right on the bottle they use spalt, fuggles, and ek gold.

my only point, (as if i had one) is that you cant clone a sheep from a dogs dna...:fro:

i hear ya...i didnt mean to get all semantical,

no no no big. i am a rank n00b when it comes to formulating recipes. come to think of it i am a n00b at most of it heh

and i agree with your point on the clone.

technically :D

more or less :)

somewhat :p

kinda ;)

Kentucky Common I don't have a link, but do a search

California Common http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/california-common-extract-kit-2.html

Kolsch http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kolsch-extract-kit-2.html

Cream Ale http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...s/extract-ale-kits/cream-ale-extract-kit.html

All three are good beers with good flavor, but "lite" enough to get you into more flavorful beers. These are not budlight, but they might be good "gateway" brews into a more flavorful palette.

Good luck.

Wow. OP not only made his original post in April 2006 (!!), he only posted twice and never seems to have come back!

That's about as "necro" as a "necro-thread" gets!

Wow. OP not only made his original post in April 2006 (!!), he only posted twice and never seems to have come back!

That's about as "necro" as a "necro-thread" gets!

Yeah, but he may still be lurking, gotta get him on the right track ;)

I can't believe this thread got revived. It's 4 years old and about a Bud Light clone!

:off: (But I can't fight the urge...)

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

:fro:

Do you realize that in this Zombi thread that the OP admitted he was underaged, and no mods locked the thread...were there even mod's in '06?

Zombified.jpg

Well, it's a good thing this thread is 4 years old.
Did no one else notice this?

..im 20, u know doing the college thing, light tastes the best for the job .. you know :)...

Maybe that's why he didn't post anymore after that.
;)

Edit: Oh, I see now that Revvy noticed it.

Kentucky Common I don't have a link, but do a search

California Common http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/california-common-extract-kit-2.html

Kolsch http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kolsch-extract-kit-2.html

Cream Ale http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...s/extract-ale-kits/cream-ale-extract-kit.html

All three are good beers with good flavor, but "lite" enough to get you into more flavorful beers. These are not budlight, but they might be good "gateway" brews into a more flavorful palette.

Good luck.

Come on you fvckas, give the guy a break here. He's a newb that revived a thread, so what! We all say "do a search" and when they do, they get **** .We were all newbs at one time. Give it up, OK?

Come on you fvckas, give the guy a break here. He's a newb that revived a thread, so what! We all say "do a search" and when they do, they get **** .We were all newbs at one time. Give it up, OK?

Are you drunk, gramps? Noone's talking about the guy that bumped the thread, we've all been talking about the guy who MADE the thread.:confused:

Are you drunk, gramps? Noone's talking about the guy that bumped the thread, we've all been talking about the guy who MADE the thread.:confused:

You know Revvy, you have turned into a sarcastic, swell headed, know it all bastage lately. Even your avatars testify. First Papazian, then Yoda master Jedi. Get over it.

Looks like wallerstedt was in the archives!!! He maybe looking for a similar brew... Why? Not sure. BUT! It does look like he used our "search" which has been chastised for NOT using! Esp. since our search has gotten better! IE new Google engine. Look for more of these. I do many of these searches for older posts, I've found stuff I've missed not using the new search, and I LOVE IT... Just look out for more Zombified posts! They will rise from the dead since we got better!

AND yes I saw OP was under age, but now he would be legal and our Mods are now more vigilant!

Kudos to our new search and our Mods! (and revvy! he's given more knowledge to me than I can count)

Looks like wallerstedt was in the archives!!! He maybe looking for a similar brew... Why? Not sure. BUT! It does look like he used our "search" which has been chastised for NOT using! Esp. since our search has gotten better! IE new Google engine. Look for more of these. I do many of these searches for older posts, I've found stuff I've missed not using the new search, and I LOVE IT... Just look out for more Zombified posts! They will rise from the dead since we got better!

AND yes I saw OP was under age, but now he would be legal and our Mods are now more vigilant!

Kudos to our new search and our Mods! (and revvy! he's given more knowledge to me than I can count)

:)

it was a search for, I don't remember what, but when I saw buttlight, I had to help set him straight. I think the search works great, along with the related threads at the bottom of the page, I use those all the time.

It's a blast from the past, seeing guys that I used to talk with all the time who aren't around much. Ivan Lendl (who used to be "Andre Agassi"), Kai, 2nd Street, Chilly.. bunch of old buddies that I kinda miss. Was just giving you crap about the "necrothread."

It's a blast from the past, seeing guys that I used to talk with all the time who aren't around much. Ivan Lendl (who used to be "Andre Agassi"), Kai, 2nd Street, Chilly.. bunch of old buddies that I kinda miss. Was just giving you crap about the "necrothread."

I'll take more crap, give me all you want. :D

Back