New Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollinred

Reaction score
Birthday was Augus 6 and the SWMBO went out and bought me this a Kenmore 8.8 cubic foot freezer, I suspect I can fit 5 cornies in this thing, but I dont have enough kegs yet to even try fitting that many. So anyway I decided I would go the callar rout for mounting the faucets on.

I have never done pictures on this site but here goes my first attempt.

2 x 6 collar all put together, I glued it down with loctite powergrab, stuff works great, I could lift up the whole freezer plus a full cornie by the collar and there is no way it was going to come off.
IMG_0554.jpg

Sealed it all up with caulk along the factory seams, this stuff worked great witout having to use the caulk gun are squeeze it out of a tube
IMG_0553.jpg

Ummm... Picture of the regulator, I swear this is a picture of the regulator :). She didnt believe me though. Hey guys... stop looking!
IMG_0558.jpg

A419 temp controller, this thing works great. The analog controller is not an option after having played around with this thing, several features that make this so much better and worth the extra hour of pay I needed to buy it.
IMG_0585.jpg

And here it is, the the final result, minus 4 faucets...
IMG_0584.jpg

And look who I found already trying to sneak into daddy's beer. I dont know if its good that he is choosing good beer, or bad that he already has an interest in beer.
IMG_0523.jpg

Well I hope these pictures show up first of all, But I also hope you guys enjoy them. This has only been about 7 months since brewing my first beer and I already have the kegging up and running a lot earlier than most do. Hopefully the wife will let this all continue, but us both being only 22-23 years old and trying to get a down payment for a house in a couple of months, and the need for a new car, I think my brewing equipment will remain at what it is for now, but the brewing will NOT STOP.

See ya guys later :tank:

Looks good man. Only reason I started with kegging is I was deployed and had a lil extra cash. :ban: I would post some pix, but dont have any here and would rather not host them on another site.

Looks good. I am planning on moving by next year so I want to build one into a bar. I will have to call upon all the great thinkers and woodsmen on this forum for ideas.

It's very nice. I'm paying attention to threads like this because I'm planning to build a keezer also in a couple of months.

I like the double collar with the cedar on the inside and the more attractive wood on the outside. Did you choose cedar for environmental reasons? What is the exterior wood?

Why 1x8? Why not just use 1x6? Did you need that much clearance inside for the kegs? EDIT: I think I see. It is 2x6 cedar collar faced with 1x8 of some other wood. Is that correct?

Looks good.
thumbup.gif

I'm still planning my keezer but reading all these build threads are really helping a lot. I'm curious tho, where exactly did you put the caulk and why is it necessary?

If you look at new chest freezers there are seems that will collect water and rust in a refrigerator condition. Remember that a refrigerator will have moisture build up just like a freezer, but with a freezer it just makes ice that wont rust anything. I sealed up all of the seems so that my spankin' new keezer wont be rusting out on the inside within a year. This model also has a drain plug so when the moisture pools at the bottom I will just drain clean out with a mop.

Look at the picture of the caulk I used, and look at the edges of the freezer there, you will see where I put the caulk if you look close.

It's very nice. I'm paying attention to threads like this because I'm planning to build a keezer also in a couple of months.

I like the double collar with the cedar on the inside and the more attractive wood on the outside. Did you choose cedar for environmental reasons? What is the exterior wood?

Why 1x8? Why not just use 1x6? Did you need that much clearance inside for the kegs? EDIT: I think I see. It is 2x6 cedar collar faced with 1x8 of some other wood. Is that correct?

Still a little backwards, It is just regular 2x6 on the inside collar, and 1x8 cedar on the outside trim. The cedar is obviously much nicer looking especially when stained and varnished, but I built the outside with 1x8 so that there is a two in "underhang that hides any of the adhesive that leaked out when I pressed the collar down, and to hide the ugly factory moulding. It is also going to serve as somthing for me to screw on another extension downward on the front and build a custom drip tray, I wont do that now because I wouldnt be able to get it out the door at the place I am in. So in the future there is more in store for it.

Got it. Well, it looks great, and I think I'm going to take the same approach on mine for the collar.

You said you suspect you can fit five cornies. Have you actually checked yet? I was thinking I might go one size larger so I can get 6 or 7 kegs in it, but that size chest might work out better for me after all, if it'll actually hold 5.

Got it. Well, it looks great, and I think I'm going to take the same approach on mine for the collar.

You said you suspect you can fit five cornies. Have you actually checked yet? I was thinking I might go one size larger so I can get 6 or 7 kegs in it, but that size chest might work out better for me after all, if it'll actually hold 5.

I dont know yet whether or not it will fit 5, but I am going to be checking that tonight so I will give you an update. I will just make some cutouts to see if I can squeeze it.

You just need to go buy 12 kegs from CHI like I did about a week ago. :mug: You know you want 'em. :)

You just need to go buy 12 kegs from CHI like I did about a week ago. :mug: You know you want 'em. :)

Yeah I do, but it ain't gonna happen. Two more would be perfect for now.

Anyway, it looks like I can only fit 4 on the floor; however the co2 tank will also fit perfectly. Two kegs wont fit front to back, and three wont fit side to side, but they stager very nicely and leave a good about of room that the regulator and tank will fit perfectly in, leaving me the option to put fermenters on the hump or a 3 gallon keg, unless the 3 gallons are not as large around, then I could fit two on the hump. In hindsight this would be great with an 8" collar so that 5 gallons would fit on the hump, and they would fit, If I gutted the bottom of the lid a little bit I could fit at least one more two gallon anyway. But it is already hard enough to get the kegs in without hitting the collar.

Wish I could have got like a 10 cubic foot but we just couldnt afford it. But for the brewing I am doing right now, this 8.8 is going to work awsome.

Four taps is plenty versatile. I'm sure you'll be quite satisfied.

I can't wait to see more pics as you progress on your build.

Back