SMaSH ale help....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
With another brew weekend coming up, I've decided to try a SMaSH ale.

I bought myself 6lbs of liquid german pilsner malt extract.

I have the following hops (of which I'd like to use only one, sticking to the SMaSH idea)

Domestic Centennial
Domestic Perle
Spalt Select
Domestic Hallertau

All are loose raw hops, and Im leaning towards the spalt.

Which of these would be the best match for the malt?

Also, I have the following yeastie beasties available:

cultivated, washed english ale, and
dry american ale yeast

Best combination recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

lucas

70-72 is about the coldest that I can ferment. Still havent built my own son of a fermentation thingy.

sounds like a plan. Spalt 2 oz and the american ale, at 70-72 fermentation temp.

anymore votes?

Lucas

spalt again ;)

try to wrap that sucker in ice packs or something...it'll be a lot better if cold. if you can't, however, it'll still be fine. 70-72°F isn't THAT bad :D

I think I'd go with the centennial. Its nice and citrus for summer. I made a lawnmower beer last year with centennial and it was awesome.

As for temps go as cool as possible. If you can, try to bottle lager after your beer is carbed. Essentially refrigerate all of your beer. ~6-8 weeks

When you ferment warm, the beer tends more fruity so a centennial would be a good match.

:mug:

Are you married to the SMaSH idea? If not I'd do Perle for bittering and Spalt for flavor and aroma. If you are then I'd agree with the Centennial idea with American yeast, but that's just me.

Back