Technique where you slowly raise the OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaderRabbit

Reaction score
I've tried searching for this but haven't had much success.

I read an article that wasn't about mead (an article about rice wine, perhaps?) that made a mention of a mead making technique where you slowly add more honey as the must ferments, that way the yeast has time to multiply and can better handle the honey you add later.

I've been trying to find out more about about that technique but since the article didn't offer a name for the technique, I haven't had much success.

Has anyone heard of this? Tried it? Is there a name for the technique so I can try to find it?

Start your ferment at a reasonable SG like 1.095, use a strong yeast, when the gravity drops to 1.01 add enough honey to raise the gravity to 1.02, allow to ferment down to 1.01 again, repeat until yeast is exhausted. This also requires for best results a yeast nutrient plan, I have had good luck with Fermocel P added at halfway through intitial SG with a good nutrient like Superfood etc at the start. WVMJ

Just keep track of the SG increase each time you make an addition so you can actually figure out your new original gravity (O.G.). That way you can calculate your ACV when all is said and done. But just in case your record keeping is not the best, or perhaps you transposed a digit or two, there is the Honneyman Method which has been proven as accurate as the ebullioscope... http://valleyvintner.com/Tips&Links/MeasuringAlcohol.pdf
---Absolutely no excuse for not knowing the actual ACV of every thing you have made, plus you can even figure out the ACV of those bottles you have been gifted. As easy as boiling water, honest. Do NOT waste your $ on a vinometer, listen to Dr. Honneyman!!

I think I would rather take a wild guess than give up a bottle of mead just to figure out what the ABV was :) Tracking the SG isnt really that hard and nobody is going to complain if you are wrong :) WVMJ

I think I would rather take a wild guess than give up a bottle of mead just to figure out what the ABV was :) Tracking the SG isnt really that hard and nobody is going to complain if you are wrong :) WVMJ

agreed, I don't care what the ABV is as long as it tastes good

Back