Original Gravity problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rboz

Reaction score
I understand that it is the general consensus to measure OG before pitching your yeast, but does that also mean measuring it before you add your excess water? I had 3 and a half gallons of wort that measured 1.100 OG, I measured this before I pitched my yeast and added it to 2 gal of water. Obviously the water would dilute it, but by how much? Should I use that number for my OG?

You should definately add the water to the wort before pitching the yeast. Pitching should be the final step.

Two gallons of water will change the OG considerably, and the OG of the wort itself doesn't matter if you are adding water. (It doesn't not matter, but...well I don't know how to use it).

I use the OG of the beer after adding water to the wort before pitching yeast. Adding water before pitching helps cool the wort, also.

Cheers.

Depends on your recipe. Some recipes, like those in Palmer's "How to Brew", give 2 OGs: one for 3 gallons of wort, and one for 5 gallons of wort.

Why not just take 2 measurements?

Ok good to know, is there any way I can estimate the OG (post water addition)?

Back