When To Drink an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambor44

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been on an IPA kick for almost a year now.

I have always tried to keep a pipeline going so that I am able to condition my beers in the kegs for at least two months before they hit the tap. However, recently I ran out (first time in 4 1/2 years of brewing)!! Once I got my next brew going I obviously couldn't wait 2 months to drink it and therefore it hit the tap at the one month period (3 fermenting and 1 on CO2). It was actually fantastic which got me to wondering: as far as homebrewing goes, when is it best to drink an IPA? Right away or wait a while? Wasn't sure if this was a fluke or maybe just due to the particular recipe.

I drink my IPAs as fresh as possible so they still have the huge aroma. Typically three weeks fermenting an a week carbing.

I also drink mine as soon as they're carbed. I think they're better when fresh and still have the big hop aroma!

I recently made a pale ale with a lot of hop flavor. I don't keg but I tested bottles at each week through week 7. I thought weeks 3 and 4 were perfect. By week 7, the hop flavor was significantly reduced and left an unbalanced bitterness. The bottles that had been in the fridge, however, retained the flavor much longer. Not very scientific but in the future, I will get all hoppy beers in the fridge or in my belly by week 4.

I'm going to weigh in on the opposite side. Every time I've made an IPA, whether it was a big 100+ IBU Pliny clone or a simple mild single IPA, the flavors hit their stride at 2 months in the bottle. They're sharp and bitter right away, but at two
Months the flavors are melded and mellow and sweet and, to me at least, much much more enjoyable.

JonM said:
I'm going to weigh in on the opposite side. Every time I've made an IPA, whether it was a big 100+ IBU Pliny clone or a simple mild single IPA, the flavors hit their stride at 2 months in the bottle. They're sharp and bitter right away, but at two
Months the flavors are melded and mellow and sweet and, to me at least, much much more enjoyable.

X2. Every beer has it's a time when it's perfect. I think some IPAs taste kinda nasty when they're fresh.

I have two kegs of IPA on tap right now. Well, actually had since one keg kicked last night. They both are good, but very different. The one that kicked last night was brewed on 9/10/12, so was about 26 days old when it was gone. The other IPA was brewed on 9/16/12, and I have 5+ gallons of it left (I brew 10 gallon batches).

IPAs don't keep the "hoppy" flavor and aroma for long, although they can be very drinkable as they age. They seem to have a more perceptible bitterness as they age, as the hops aroma and flavor fade (since the hop flavor and aroma balances out the bitterness).

My IPA is best at 4 weeks in the bottle after some 3.5 weeks or so in primary with a one week dry hop. Dito on week seven+.

Yooper, whats your process? You kicked one last night (10-6-12) that was brewed on 9-10-12 so barely 3 weeks old when kicked right? By myself it takes me 2-4 weeks to kick a keg.

The reason I am asking is that I feel my beers, most of the time, taste too "green" if I don't ferment 3 weeks and then wait at least another few before tapping.

Good replies so far, I hope to see a lot more experiences.

Krovitz said:
I recently made a pale ale with a lot of hop flavor. I don't keg but I tested bottles at each week through week 7. I thought weeks 3 and 4 were perfect. By week 7, the hop flavor was significantly reduced and left an unbalanced bitterness. The bottles that had been in the fridge, however, retained the flavor much longer. Not very scientific but in the future, I will get all hoppy beers in the fridge or in my belly by week 4.

This matches what I recently heard third hand on a blog originally started by the hop expert at I think either miller or ab: "the lining in bottle caps will absorb a lot of the aroma from hops within 3 weeks."

I use o2 barrier caps,& the hop flavors aren't nitcably faded till about week 7. Best at about 4 weeks. So I don't thing they're right about absorbing lupulins from the hops.

I personally would recommend drinking them as soon as they are ready, or at least sticking them in the fridge at that point and enjoying them at your leisure. I brewed a phenomenal IPA a while back and I was so proud of it. I drank it all up, but saved a couple bottles in my basement to enjoy at a later date. A few months went by and I went to taste one as was quite disappointed at how the beer had "matured." The hop profile was heavily mellowed, the creamy and malty sides had mellowed, and the bitterness had stayed the same. What was once a balanced and beautiful beer had become something that was just somewhat okay. It was quite a disappointment :(

Yooper, whats your process? You kicked one last night (10-6-12) that was brewed on 9-10-12 so barely 3 weeks old when kicked right? By myself it takes me 2-4 weeks to kick a keg.

The reason I am asking is that I feel my beers, most of the time, taste too "green" if I don't ferment 3 weeks and then wait at least another few before tapping.

Good replies so far, I hope to see a lot more experiences.

In my experience, a well made beer doesn't taste "green" after about 10 days.

Proper pitching rate, at the proper temperature, and fermentation temperatures at the low end of the yeast strain's optimum fermentation range seem to work really well for non-complex beers and they are usually really clear by day 10 (unless I use S05- that takes longer to clear for me!). I dryhop then, for about 5 days, then keg. So the beers are normally about 15 days old going into the keg.

Even though I like my IPAs after a few months in the bottle, I always sneak a few early. Start tasting your IPA as soon as its carbed, but tuck a few away for sampling at 6 weeks, 8 weeks, etc. you might find that you like really fresh IPAs or you might prefer some that have a little age.

Proper pitching rate, at the proper temperature, and fermentation temperatures at the low end of the yeast strain's optimum fermentation range seem to work really well for non-complex beers and they are usually really clear by day 10 (unless I use S05- that takes longer to clear for me!). I dryhop then, for about 5 days, then keg. So the beers are normally about 15 days old going into the keg.

I am using SO5. Usually no starter and pitch straight into the wort with no re-hydration.

Here is a current beer on tap. When it first went on tap, 10-3-12. It was hazy and tasted "green" or young to me. Before I placed it in the kegerator it was in 65F ambient temps.

Brewed 8-19-12
Kegged 9-9-12
Tapped 10-3-12

Today (10-7-12) it is coming around after a few poured pints between the 3rd and today.

How's the recipe look? No dry hopping this time.

Rain Frog IPA #108
14-B American IPA
Author: Rob
Date: 8/19/12

Size: 11.*gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 89.0%
Calories: 185.24*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.006 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 9.48 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.64% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 70.3 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
20.0*lb (90.9%) Pale Ale Malt - added during mash
1*lb (4.5%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - added during mash
1*lb (4.5%) Cara-Pils® Malt - added during mash
2*oz (44.4%) Nugget (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60*m
1*oz (22.2%) Citra (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 45*m
.5*oz (11.1%) Citra (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*oz (22.2%) Citra (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m

Notes
Kegged 9-9-12
Tapped 10-3-12

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.22

Yooper said:

All this about fermentation is the key. I am finally able to actively control fermentation temperature and it has made a big difference in the turnaround time for my beers. Good pitching rate, healthy yeast, a little yeast nutrient and the proper, consistent temperature drastically improves the quality of your beer and gets it ready for packaging much sooner. I know we're specifically talking about IPAs here, but the pumpkin ale I brewed a few weeks ago was at terminal gravity in about 3 days and the yeast had finished cleaning up in just a few more. I was adding spices to it, but I could have crash-cooled it with some gelatin and had it in a bottle after just 10 days or so. Even with the spice addition, I had it in the bottle 2 weeks from brew day, and there were no weird favors in it at all.

For your high-alcohol, complex beers there's no doubt that extra time on the yeast helps but, if you're kegging, there's no reason (with good fermentation) that you shouldn't be enjoying your low- to moderate-strength beers within 2 to 3 weeks of brew day.

As an FYI some key points I haven't mentioned yet:

1. I ferment now in Corny Kegs using a few drops of foam control 24 hours after pitching.
2. My fermentation chamber is a deep freezer with a Johnson controller kept at 62-66F ambient.
3. My kegs stay in that same fermentation chamber after I transfer with CO2 to the serving keg.

the american (especially west coast) way of drinking an IPA is as fresh as possible. With that said, it really depends on the setup you have for your fermenation and the recipe you did. If you went with a simple recipe (> 90% base malt) you can turn it over really quick, fermenting under pressure while dry hoping etc.... I had a IPA that was kegged and drinking at 10 days for NHC last year that was quite fantastic but I ferment under pressure meaning when there is about 10 points to go, I toss in the dry hops and cap it off and let it carb up while dry hopping. The finished product is able to be transferred either through a filter or straight to the kegs after crash cooling straight to the serving kegs.

All that being said, in my setup I like the 3 week mark. roughly 1 week ferment, 1 week dry hop, 1 week crash cool (with the dry hops) and into the keg and drinking.

the american (especially west coast) way of drinking an IPA is as fresh as possible. With that said, it really depends on the setup you have for your fermenation and the recipe you did. If you went with a simple recipe (> 90% base malt) you can turn it over really quick, fermenting under pressure while dry hoping etc.... I had a IPA that was kegged and drinking at 10 days for NHC last year that was quite fantastic but I ferment under pressure meaning when there is about 10 points to go, I toss in the dry hops and cap it off and let it carb up while dry hopping. The finished product is able to be transferred either through a filter or straight to the kegs after crash cooling straight to the serving kegs.

All that being said, in my setup I like the 3 week mark. roughly 1 week ferment, 1 week dry hop, 1 week crash cool (with the dry hops) and into the keg and drinking.

When you say you cap it off and let carb up, are you fermenting in kegs as well, or are you letting the gasses from fermentation "carb it up"?

When you say you cap it off and let carb up, are you fermenting in kegs as well, or are you letting the gasses from fermentation "carb it up"?

you got it, I have a 15g corny keg and cut the dig tube so I can naturally carb at the end of fermentation and then use co2 to transfer into serving kegs ready to serve.

Best time to drink an IPA is 5:35 pm, but any time from 4am to 3 am is fine.(23 of the 24 hours of a day)

For some reason, if you drink one between 3 and 4 am you turn into a gremlin.

OK, admittedly this originally was not about an IPA, but the spirit of it applies:

StormP_Tuborg.jpg

Rough translation:
"Hey, Perikles, tell me at what time a Tuborg tastes best?" "-Every time!"

Drawer is Storm P, and this was on all 70's Tuborg tins - nostalgia...

OK, admittedly this originally was not about an IPA, but the spirit of it applies:

StormP_Tuborg.jpg

Rough translation:
"Hey, Perikles, tell me at what time a Tuborg tastes best?" "-Every time!"

Drawer is Storm P, and this was on all 70's Tuborg tins - nostalgia...

I was going to go with this theme and say I usually drink my IPAs in the afternoons/evenings but they're good in the morning too.

I was going to go with this theme and say I usually drink my IPAs in the afternoons/evenings but they're good in the morning too.

Yeah, found the OP humorous as well. I basically said "24 hours a day" but I added in the nonsensical 1 hour period in the black of night that should only apply to the mogwai.

Best time to drink an IPA is 5:35 pm, but any time from 4am to 3 am is fine.(23 of the 24 hours of a day)

For some reason, if you drink one between 3 and 4 am you turn into a gremlin.

About 75% of the beers I make are IPAs. I usually keg them right after 14 days of single stage fermentation and start drinking them as soon as they are carbonated. ... well oftentimes after 2 or 3 days in the keg if I start the keg out at 30+ PSI for the first day to give it a kick start.

I cant recall a single IPA that really didnt taste pretty darn good that early....cant say the same for all styles, but I drink my IPAs much much earlier than some of you are waiting and think they are very good.

This one isn't one of my Favs for some reason. Can someone chime in on what may be wrong?

How's the recipe look? No dry hopping this time.

Rain Frog IPA #108
14-B American IPA
Author: Rob
Date: 8/19/12

Size: 11.*gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 89.0%
Calories: 185.24*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.006 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 9.48 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.64% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 70.3 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
20.0*lb (90.9%) Pale Ale Malt - added during mash
1*lb (4.5%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - added during mash
1*lb (4.5%) Cara-Pils® Malt - added during mash
2*oz (44.4%) Nugget (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60*m
1*oz (22.2%) Citra (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 45*m
.5*oz (11.1%) Citra (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*oz (22.2%) Citra (13.4%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m

Notes
Kegged 9-9-12
Tapped 10-3-12

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.22

Edit: Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes.

Nugget is a bit earthy compared to citra. And the 45 min addition is rather pointless. I'd do 60,20,& 10 myself. Then dry hop for aroma.

Gotcha. I don't think I like that. I was actually making a clone of something with this recipe and at the last minute changed the name. Wish I could remember what it was.

Yambor, I'm not sure you are getting an appropriate answer for the context you've put your beer in. What about the beer do you not like? On addressing your recipe, it looks like you are using 66% of your hops for bittering. With the somewhat low gravity and high attenuation, you're putting the emphasis of this beer on bittering. You have a scant 1.5 oz of flavor/aroma hops and NO dryhop (yet) to speak of for an 11 gallon batch. You'll actually see most typical west coast ipas have this hop balance the other way around, ie, toward the flavor/aroma. Is that what you are after?

You may be waiting for the bitterness to meld in with the rest of the beer but there is not much else to meld with, IMO. Dry hop it (2-5oz or more!).

14thstreet said:
Yambor, I'm not sure you are getting an appropriate answer for the context you've put your beer in. What about the beer do you not like? On addressing your recipe, it looks like you are using 66% of your hops for bittering. With the somewhat low gravity and high attenuation, you're putting the emphasis of this beer on bittering. You have a scant 1.5 oz of flavor/aroma hops and NO dryhop (yet) to speak of for an 11 gallon batch. You'll actually see most typical west coast ipas have this hop balance the other way around, ie, toward the flavor/aroma. Is that what you are after?

You may be waiting for the bitterness to meld in with the rest of the beer but there is not much else to meld with, IMO. Dry hop it (2-5oz or more!).

Since it is on tap already, how should this be done? Pellets or leaf straight in or in a sanitized hop bag?

I have been trying to make a "lighter" style of IPA. More of a session IPA If that makes any sense. Is that possible, a 5-6% ABV IPA?

Rob

Yambor44 said:
Since it is on tap already, how should this be done? Pellets or leaf straight in or in a sanitized hop bag?

I have been trying to make a "lighter" style of IPA. More of a session IPA If that makes any sense. Is that possible, a 5-6% ABV IPA?

Rob

You're a homebrewer. Everything's possible.

***Note to self.... If you plan on adding 2.5 ounces of pellet hops directly to an already carbonated beer...do so very quickly and get the lid back on ASAP...

Nugget is a bit earthy compared to citra. And the 45 min addition is rather pointless. I'd do 60,20,& 10 myself. Then dry hop for aroma.

Nugget is a fantastic IPA hop. It's earthy but floral, excellent for bittering as well as flavor/aroma. One of my best IIPA's is all Nugget hops. It's low cohumulone also makes it good for bittering as it doesn't contribute much other than smooth bitterness.

If I've dryhopped in the keg, I've put my hops (pellet or whole) in a hop bag and tied it halfway down my liquid out tube. Sanitize your hop bag before doing this just to be safe. You could also weight it down too. The idea is that you don't block/clog the dip tube with hop or bag. Others have used a tea infusion ball.

Back