Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAF_CAVEMAN

Reaction score
I know the question has been asked a million times about is my brew still actively fermenting? I brewed my beer and pitch my yeast this past Tuesday...After about 24 hours the beer was fermenting like crazy and had i a lot of what looked like foam on top...Since then the foam has subsided and now it just looks like regular beer. Im using the coopers kit that utilizes the "burping" method. I think next time ill just use a glass carboy. ANYWAYS is it normal for the foam on top to subside during fermentation? Thanks!

-Whos a noob? THIS GUY! :ban:

Yes, usually the main part of fermentation is over relatively quickly. But, the yeasties are still doing their job. Leave it alone for another week or so and then do some gravity readings. You've made beer!! :drunk:

The foam on top (aka Krausen) typically falls back into your brew - but this is not always the case.

The ONLY way to know if the fermentation is done is via hydrometer. Take a reading. Wait two days, take another reading. If they agree, fermentation is done.

Back