German Breuers Tax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKOriginal

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone brewing in German has actually sent a letter to the Burgermeister declairing that they intend to brew? I found a website which a German posted a sample letter, but i'm reluctant (read lazy) to go through the motion. I figure I can clain the ignorant American card at least once?

So you have to notify the German Government if you want to homebrew?

Is there a fee or restriction?

Apparently the local customs office must be notified...

From the wiki page:
Legal. 200 liters of beer per household per year may be produced without taxation, but notification of the local customs office is necessary. Larger quantities are taxed according to law.[14]

MC

Yes, in Germany you are allowed to brew up to 200L (50 gal)per person per household. We are supposed to alert the Mayor (custom) and tell them of our intent to brew, when we brew, along with the OG. There is a tax that i understand is around 2 euro or so a year if you write the letter correctly. I stumbled across one Germanys webpage a few days ack and he gave an example of the letter along with the ways he manipulated it. Unfortunatly, i cant find it. This page gives an example. http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/Rechtliches:_:30.html?language=en Regardless, I dont want to brew according to their BS Reinheitsgebot, thats why i am brewing here anyway. Worse comes to worse, i guess i can go on post, Ahhh America, only a gate guard away.

I don't know if they can regulate what you put in the beer you make for your personal enjoyment. Reinheitsgebot might not even apply for commercial producers anymore either. Though I think many do simply because they prefer the end result and they are used to making it that way. Last I heard they did away with it years ago.

Back