This is good right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Hello all I just brewed my first batch of beer today and it was an all grain.( Tons of fun and exciting), anyways siphoned it into my primary fermentation bucket. I just checked on it and it's been 9 hours and the blow off tube looks like a volcano erupting and the thing is making a thumping noise like a small machine-gun. This normal?? I first put a airlock deal and when checked on it the airlock was shot off and was like 5 feet away.

image-4220289161.jpg

It's all good! Find a bucket, pot, or something to put a few inches of water in and put the other end of that hose into it and let it do it's thing. After it calms down, replace the blow off tube with a clean airlock and let it finish fermenting out.

Great this is my first batch. I know i messed up A few times but it smells great already. I also have another question. The end result was supposed to be five gallons after a 60 minute boil but it was mire like 6 gallons left so I just kept boiling and waited to add
the last
hops till flame out so instead of adding hops at 5 mins left in the boil which would be the 55 min mark I waited till 85 mins... Is thus gonna make the beer completely wrong?

I want to attempt an ipa like dogfish head 90 min but I dunno if I'm ready for that yet if I had trouble already with the volumes and all

Great this is my first batch. I know i messed up A few times but it smells great already. I also have another question. The end result was supposed to be five gallons after a 60 minute boil but it was mire like 6 gallons left so I just kept boiling and waited to add
the last
hops till flame out so instead of adding hops at 5 mins left in the boil which would be the 55 min mark I waited till 85 mins... Is thus gonna make the beer completely wrong?

Nope! Actually, I did the exact same thing this weekend. I had planned on a 60 minute boil but, the program I was using said that my pre boil volume was supposed to be 7 gallons. I know from my own experience, using my equipment, that this was too much so, I let it boil down an extra hour to help put my post boil gravity where it should have been.

put a known amount of water in your boil pot, and boil for an hour to determine you're boil-off per hour. That will allow you to put accuratly into calculators a boil-off value. Also, do you have a brewing software? They help. Your beer will still be beer. RDWHAHB

Well I just received beersmith in the mail today but it won't load. Somthing about debugging or some crap. I hate computers haha

image-1417412404.jpg

When I hit cancel or no nothing happens. Need to have someone good with computers look at it I guess. Is beer smith easy to use ?

While you are waiting for someone to help you with Beersmith you could go to hopville.com and try out beer calculus. I've used it several times and like it.

Back