What do you write on your bottle caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I print the beer & date on Avery 5461 round 3/4" labels on our laser printer. Works well. Labels are available on Amazon in various colors, printer template is available on Avery web site.

I use different colored caps.

red= esb
bllue-hef
yellow=apfelwein
black=cascadian dark ale
bronze=stout
silver=uncarbed apfelwein

if i have some hidden to age, i print an address label and put those on the bottles.

if i brew something else and run out of colors, i'll just drink all of that one color before using it again ;)

Sharpie with initials, and bottle date. RSSP 5-1-12 (Ray's Snowflake Smoked Porter) PTAA 5-18-12 (Phat Tyre Amber Ale) etc. If I were to forget the initials, I could check my brew log. Not many will survive long enough for me to forget the initials :eek:

Initials of what the beer is. Simple. I'll always know what IPA, PA, BR, A, P, and S stand for. Any more complicated and I'd go blind.

That.

Beers that go to my aged reserve get masking tape on the bottle with their full name, date bottled and ABV.

Sharpie with initials, and bottle date. RSSP 5-1-12 (Ray's Snowflake Smoked Porter) PTAA 5-18-12 (Phat Tyre Amber Ale) etc. If I were to forget the initials, I could check my brew log. Not many will survive long enough for me to forget the initials :eek:

Zombie thread FTW.

Sharpie with initials, f the bottle date, that's what i have beersmith for, to remind me when i brewed things. The round white stickers with sharpie for things I might enter in comp and want unmarked caps for.

I just write the serial number on the bottle (my serial numbers are only 2-digits so far; when I get to 99 I will go to hex). I have to look at the brewlog to figure out what's in the bottle, but this works for me because I keep a lot of beers in the pipeline; there's no point in trying to be descriptive on the bottle cap.

I use colored dots and just write the style and month/year bottled I never have more than one batch of a style at a time so it works for me

Back