Cream Ale process question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskiletta

Reaction score
So, total noob question, but I've never cold crashed/lagered a beer before, and I'm not sure of the process. As best I can tell it goes something like:

Primary Fermentation w/ optional secondary until fermentation finished.
Drop to 35-40 F for a day or two.
Bottle/keg.
Allow to come back up to ale fermentation temperatures so that it will carbonate.

I'm planning to naturally carbonate in bottles. Is this process accurate? Should I be chilling the beer for an extended period before bottling? Any risks in dropping, then raising, the temperature of the beer?

Thanks!

What you are describing is cold-crashing, not lagering. Lagering involves storing beer at those temperatures for an extended period of time.

Some people cold-crash because they feel it clears the beer, some get clear beer without doing it. It's ultimately just about what works for you. No real risks per se.

yeah, if you're looking to lager your beer i would store it at about 40 for an extended period. however, cream ale i don't think needs a lagering stage to it. cold crashing is a good option, and like what was said above some people have great success with it, but i don't think it's necessary for anything more then aesthetics.

so then go for it! Gelatin for fining might also be something to look into. By the way, Collingswood? I grew up in Cherry Hill and love it over there. Ever do the panther burger challenge at the pop shop?

Haha, small world. No, haven't really gotten into the Pop Shop. I'm more of a Pour House guy (Westmont beer bar - think it might be on the newish side). I'm definitely going to pick up some gelatin tonight and try that as well.

Thanks again! I owe you a cream ale when you're in town.

Back