Thinking of converting, what would I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glavini

Reaction score
So now that I have a place to brew outside and not worry about SWMBO complaining about the smell. I am thinking about going all grain. I have already brewed my second 5 gallon batch, and that was about 2 days after I bottled the first batch.

I am thinking all-grain could possibly be a lot cheaper, assuming I don't go crazy and I start upgrading everything(which I have a tendency to do)

As for my set up,
I just put together a single tier two burner stand(bayou classic burners)
Wort chiller
primary fermenting bucket
bottling bucket
5 gallon glass carboy
6 gallon plastic carboy
7.5 gallon kettle

I will probably be going the round cooler route for my mash tun. What else would I need to get going? Ideally I would like to brew 10 gallon batches so will I need to upgrade my kettle?

Thanks in advance

You're going to need another kettle. 60 qt. You could get by with using your 7.5 one as a HLT for now but not for 10 gallon batches without some wort juggling.

It takes about 10 gallons of sparge water for these sized batches.

If you are going to go the cooler route, get at least a 10 gallon one (or several). I have one 5 and one 10 and wish I would have 2 10's, and this is for two five gallon batches each brew day. Get more glass carboys - you will fill them quickly. I agree with Bend; get a bigger kettle too.

If you are just "thinking" about going all grain (which really means "I am going all grain as soon as I can justify the extra purchases") then I would try BIAB. You can do it with the equipment you have right now, get some experience under your belt, and get a feeling for all grain.

And if I were you I would consider waiting a little while before upgrading to 10 gallon batches. Double batches mean your brewing half as much (or drinking twice as much) and for just your second batch, you want to make sure you get any kinks out of your process first. And that only comes with practice. If your going to be buying new equipment then definitely get yourself ready for 10 gallon batches, but a few more 5 gallon batches aren't going to hurt, and it will help gauge how much beer you will really need, give you a chance to explore some different styles, and find some recipes you will actually want 10 gallons of.

$.02

I notice you said you have a single tier setup.... if you go that route, you'll need a pump.

I also suggest checking out BIAB. its a CHEAP way of getting into All Grain brewing. Then if you choose, piece together a 3 vessel setup a little at a time and move to the 10 gallon club (you can do 10 gallon BIAB but it's a pain).

I was definitely going to stick with 5 gallon batches for a little while, however wanted the option to go to 10 gallons without having to buy new equipment all over again.

I do have a single tier set up but it only cost me $25 to build ( i own a sign shop and had 1" galvanized steel tubing that we use for awnings) I could always reconfigure, which would be cheaper then buying a pump.

All that being said, would it be safe to say I could start the AG brewing process if I kust picked up a 10 gallon mash tun?

Also highly recommend trying BIAB. Sew up your own bag using voile (sheer curtain material), or you can try it really easily by buying a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot (they run about $3 or 2/$5). I've done about 13 pounds of grain easily in one of those paint strainer bags. If you don't care for BIAB after trying it, you still at least have a decent filter bag for other uses!

I honestly don't know if I will move away from BIAB - I don't plan on doing 10 gallon batches (I like trying new brews too much, and don't drink enough), and BIAB is so easy with easy cleanup! I also get great efficiency which helps too (fine crush and dunk "sparge" in another kettle) :D

Back