The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it mature and reasonable that Bob and I don't exchange Christmas presents, or birthday presents?

Or, is it a pathetic expression of apathy?

I can't decide.

What I did (again) is take Quinn to Ace Hardware and let him pick out Grandpa's presents. He gets awesome gifts. He found the "red hot buy" areas, and got him: a 50' tape measure; needlenose pliers; nice regular pliers; a nice box cutter; and a long handled lighter. With tax, it was $13.18.

When I asked about the box cutter, Quinn looked at me like I had a metal deficit and said, "Grandma, it's in case he has to cut something!". Well. Duh, of course.

He also picked out a pair of those rubberized gloves, but they were $3.99 and I told him we could get those for Bob's birthday.

Then he carried that home, and put it in a box and wrapped it. He told me that we could tell Bob it was "fishing stuff" and he'll be very surprised on Christmas morning.

He's an awesome kid.

So Bob does have a present under the tree again this year.

Is it mature and reasonable that Bob and I don't exchange Christmas presents, or birthday presents?

I can't decide.

What I did (again) is take Quinn to Ace Hardware and let him pick out Grandpa's presents. He gets awesome gifts. He found the "red hot buy" areas, and got him: a 50' tape measure; needlenose pliers; nice regular pliers; a nice box cutter; and a long handled lighter. With tax, it was $13.18.

When I asked about the box cutter, Quinn looked at me like I had a metal deficit and said, "Grandma, it's in case he has to cut something!". Well. Duh, of course.

He also picked out a pair of those rubberized gloves, but they were $3.99 and I told him we could get those for Bob's birthday.

Then he carried that home, and put it in a box and wrapped it. He told me that we could tell Bob it was "fishing stuff" and he'll be very surprised on Christmas morning.

He's an awesome kid.

So Bob does have a present under the tree again this year.

Mature and reasonable... the SWMBO and I don't exchange any gifts either. If either if us need/want anything, we just get it (obviously within reason). We don't need a special day to get it for the other one.

That said... I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone for exchanging gifts. It's not like that's a bad thing to do. We just don't do it in our house.

I think we are going to do four days in Montreal sometime in late Jan/early Feb as our "Joint Xmas gift".

I can't decide.

It's awesome. You and Bob do for each other all year long and do not need a day to prove how you feel.

I've hit full on apathy this holiday season and am wishing for December 26th to arrive.

Our Christmas is mostly for our children. My wife and I each get each other something we wouldn't normally buy on our own.
Nothing wrong with not doing gifts. Christmas gets way too commercialized. A few days together with Friends and family make for a great Christmas.

It's awesome. You and Bob do for each other all year long and do not need a day to prove how you feel.

I've hit full on apathy this holiday season and am wishing for December 26th to arrive.

I'm pretty much in the apathy camp myself.

I used to love Christmas, but now for me it's just a time of the year to get through. I still love having the grandkids over for presents, but that's really about it.

I miss my son, and I hate cold and dark. The good news is tonight is the solstice so at least the days won't continue to get shorter.

I didn't pull out any decorations, besides putting up the tree, and I don't feel like getting together with people- I just want it to be OVER.

But that's not why we don't exchange presents, of course!

i'm pretty much in the apathy camp myself.

I used to love christmas, but now for me it's just a time of the year to get through. I still love having the grandkids over for presents, but that's really about it.

I miss my son, and i hate cold and dark. The good news is tonight is the solstice so at least the days won't continue to get shorter.

I didn't pull out any decorations, besides putting up the tree, and i don't feel like getting together with people- i just want it to be over.

But that's not why we don't exchange presents, of course!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450712373.765994.jpg

well, maybe ill throw some holiday cheer. i will be headed to southern california from 12/26-1/2 and i will not bring a computer with me, so 1 week away from my posts. cheery enough for ya?

Wife and I bought a rug for our Christmas present. It really ties the room together. Last year it was a new couch (or maybe the year before). Basically we buy something for the house instead of getting something for each other that we don't really need. Although she wants the Hamilton soundtrack and I'd like a blowjob, so maybe at least one of us will get a present we enjoy.

Wife and I bought a rug for our Christmas present. It really ties the room together. Last year it was a new couch (or maybe the year before). Basically we buy something for the house instead of getting something for each other that we don't really need. Although she wants the Hamilton soundtrack and I'd like a blowjob, so maybe at least one of us will get a present we enjoy.

Very festive ... :D

I'm reporting you for reporting me.

I'm reporting you both for reporting each other.

Now, what are you all having for Christmas dinner?

We're having ham, and I know blueberry pie but I'm not 100% sure what else. I know scalloped potatoes are traditional with ham, but I'm thinking grilled potatoes and grilled pineapple.

Grilled boneless leg of Lamb, and a smoked turkey. Plus all of the stuff that goes with them. And booze. You can't have a dysfunctional family gathering without large quantities of booze to facilitate things.

I can't drink at Christmas dinner! Because then I'll say what I think.

Our dinner is pretty small nowadays, since my son vanished into the abyss of Atlanta, and it's just us and my daughter and her two boys. I can drink heavily when they leave.

My exhusband will come over and not eat. But he'll come alone, and not stay too long. (And he's a nice guy, so no problem with him coming over).

I was going to do lamb, but decided that we had to eat this ham I've had in the freezer since last summer. We bought a whole pig, so there is a LOT of pork to eat! We'll have the leg of lamb at Easter.

Why not do something awesome tomorrow? F the holidays with great food! If you need a really easy recipe for smoked trout, let me know.

Back